change of address


New Member
Hello all!
We are in the process of trying to sell our stix & brix as we speak.My DH, after being out of work for mos,finally got a wonderful masonry job with a very large construction co.My question is this-since the job he is on at the present is over 2 hours away from where we currently live. but is still in NC, can we legally change our residency state? We want to go with SD because NC is VERY expensive to register a MH in.They also have yearly inspections.Although this job will last about 2 years,we will be moving wherever the next job is.This Co. has jobs all over the USA,so we're not sure where it will be. I just worry that by staying in NC even after selling the house,it might cause a problem with changing our residency state.I hope I have explained this because we really need to figure this out before we sell!Thanks ,sorry this is so long!

Clay L

Senior Member
Re: change of address

You can see some good info on domicile and residency HERE

The problem is that some states will insist you are a resident simply because you are working in the state (AZ and CA are two I think). I don't how people get around that.


Senior Member
Re: change of address

If the company you work for has work all over the US you do not have to claim residency even if the state normal requires it. Pipeliners and others who work areas across the US could be in an area for over a year while they lay pipe and so on and because their offices can be in one state and they work in many others they are exempt from becoming permanent residents. Having work construction we were always going to different states some jobs last up to three years. I have also met pipeliners and smoke stack repair men who have done the same thing.
Also I changed my address to SD last year and I am very pleased with it. Check out the web page And I have spent most of my time in Utah since I made the change. You will have to go to SD to get a drivers license. Everything else can be done on the net.

DL Rupper

Senior Member
Re: change of address

If you are now currently paying STATE income tax, because of the masonry job, to NC, they will probably get nasty about any attempt at changing your residency. They will demand their income tax for 2010 and 2011 for work performed in NC if you are physically located in the State for the entire year.

Most RV'ers use SD, Florida, and Texas, because there isn't a State income tax in those States and since they are moving from STATE-to-STATE frequently they don't want to pay STATE income tax to any State.

after the job is over, I suggest that you GO to one of those income tax free States and establish a mail forwarding address, get a drivers license and register your vehicles there. It wouldn't even hurt to vote there. There is problem with voting though. When you are hundreds of miles away, they may want you to for jury duty. That happened to my wife when Florida wanted her for jury duty and we were in Oregon. She just sent a letter explaining when she was currently (temporarily) located and they took her name off of the current list.


Senior Member
Re: change of address

First, don't believe all of what is published in that link as there is some bad information in it, as there are several states that do not require any physical presence in the state to qualify for domicile. Three of those are Florida, Texas, and SD. That said, you also must deal with the laws where you are living and employed.

There is little doubt that your husband's employer will be reporting the income to both the state and to the IRS. And they will do so via your address. I don't know of any state that does not require you to pay income tax to them on any amount that you earn in that state, even if you are not domiciled there. Even fulltimers who are work-camping are required to pay state income tax to the state where they earned the income, no matter how short the term that they spend in the state.

Second, NC isn't likely to take kindly to your plan to continue to live there but to claim to be somewhere else just to avoid their taxes. That is considered by most states to be fraud. In order to set up a domicile in any new state, even the three listed above, the first requirement is that you move out of any other state. The penalties for tax fraud will be far worse than what you might save until you get caught.