chassis decisions

docD

Making the final decisions on ordering class a HR 34 ft. Have 2 good local dealers....one is 20 min. drive and does all service on fords (unit and drive train) The other is 2 hr. drive and doees the same for units on chev. chassis. The chev. has 30 more hp. Looks like the deal I can get is very similar. Is the extra hp worth the extra drive for service? Any big advantage to one system over the other?
Thanks to all in advance. You have been so helpful with other questions.

Poppa

chassis decisions

Goog morming, OK which engine, trans and chassis are we taking arout and how many miles on each are we talking about. Thats the starting point.

docD

chassis decisions

Ford: 6.8L v-10 4 speed auto trans. with overdrive, leaf spring suspension
Chev: 8.1L v-8, 5 speed auto with overdrive, workhorse chassis, leaf spring suspension

I am totally clueless here except looks like chev should have quite a bit more power. Thank you for help.

docD

chassis decisions

Forgot about miles..will be new unit, plan to go 10-15,000 miles a year. doc

C Nash

chassis decisions

Doc, which workhorse cassis does the GM have? What are the tire size on each? Be sure and check the CCC that is in the coach not on the brochures.

docD

chassis decisions

Chelse: I believe it is the 22 chassis. Tires are235/80R 22.5G. I'll have to check on the ccc, looked once but that was a lot of reading ago and it is on the coach.

Kirk

chassis decisions

Doc, you should realize that the Ford chassis will be serviced by Ford shops, but the chassis with the GM engine is not from GM but it is built by Workhorse. As such, most Cheverolet dealers do not service them or do warranty work on them. Before you choose based upon this supposition, check to be sure that the dealer you plan to use for the Workhorse will service it.

As to what is best, that is probably more opinion than fact. I do suggest that you check the weight ratings of the coach when built on each chassis, however. Based upon the reviews from Motorhome Magazine, most coaches have abuot 1500# less CCC when built on the Workhorse chassis than when built on the Ford. They reviewed an Allegro that had less than 700# of CCC when on the Workhorse and another that I can't recall that was just a little more than 400#. That is an issue that could be very important.

TexasClodhopper

chassis decisions

We have the Ford V10 in our Winnie Class C. It has been a great engine for us. Plenty of power, but you have to compare loaded weights for it all to make sense. And the largest hills we have in my area are freeway overpasses! ;)

It isn't a problem, but we found that most of the Ford dealers close by would not service it because they don't have storage space for it. It becomes a security liability for them if the unit has to stay overnight.

It isn't a real problem, because any Ford TRUCK dealer will do the service/repair. Fits right into their operation.

Our MH dealer is WAY across town about an hour, must have an appointment, and quotes a week to do anything. The Ford truck dealers just say bring it in; we'll get to it when the service order comes to the top! Sigh....

janicenlarry

chassis decisions

We have had excellent luck with service on the Ford V-10. They have an 800 hot line for RVers and will find a dealer for you and set up the appt. Really works great if you have a problem on the road. Call them up and give them your itinerary and they will find you a dealer. :laugh: