Chevy 454 Exhust System Cracks

Judy

We have '86 Fleetwood Bounder, Class A Chevy 454 gas. Each year we have a problem with cracks in the exhust headers(?) during inspection. We r looking at a Banks Stinger system to replace our present system.
Would the Stinger resolve the problem? Any advice/recommendations will be appreciated.

Gary B

Hi Judy, I don't think the stinger system would help all that much with the manifold cracking, the stinger system will give you abit more power and the engine may run a bit cooler not a lot in either case. The full Banks system will of course eliminate the cracking and give you more noticable power. There are a couple of simple low cost things you can do the may work, 1. always cool the engine down for 5 min. before shutting it off, I did this even when I stopped for fuel, I NEVER just shut it off, we hqad both a Chevy 454 & a Ford 460 and never had a crack in either one(still have a 460 with 122000 mile and orginal exhausts), 2. make sure the the exhaust pipe is well supported close to the manifold connectionthis is very important as it relives the stress of wt. and hepls with the expansion and contraction stress, also make sure that the tail pipes are aligned all ways. Good luck with your problem.
:) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;) :approve:

Krazeehorse

Gary, I think you are on a short list of people whose 454 exhaust manifolds didn't crack. Understand that I don't doubt a word of what you said. But replacing with good quality headers seems to be the common repair.

Gary B

Hi Krazeehorse, you are right about headers being the best and final fix but its not cheap and I was just sugesting a posible alternative that is a lot less money and it does work most of the time.
:) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;) :approve:

bgruschy

I replaced the manifolds on my 454 last year, the service manual suggested cutting the flange between the center ports and using antisieze on the gasket and head. You will also want to make sure the bolt holes are oversized.

BobW

Happened to me. The problem was over tightened header bolts. Don't replace with cast headers, use stainless steel headers.