Chevy vs Ford

Poppa

Need som go insight. :laugh: Precious and I bought a Keystone Cougar, 05 bunk house model :cool: Now I need a tow vehicle. I am looking at a Ford 350 dually in the 1995 to 1999 range power stroke. I have noticed a number of Chey and GMC 6.5 diesels in the same year range that are several thousand dollars cheaper.

Is there a problem with the GM products? :question: They only have mileage of 100 k while many Fords range in mileages up in the 200 to 300 k range. Oh the Fords I am looking at have 125 to 175k miles.

Would like some solid info from my fellow RV'ers

C Nash

Re: Chevy vs Ford

Poppa, go with the ford and remember I'm a chevy man :eek: . The 6.5 chevy had low power and the injector pumps were weak. You could boost the power with modifacations. I had a 96 chevy 6.5 dually and towed a 27 ft cougar 5th wheel. It did a pretty good job and handled great but the power was lacking. The chevy will probably get better MPG than the ford. Chevy is not as noisey as the ford IMO. Ride seems better on the chevy. transmissions I would rate about even. AJMO

Poppa

Chelse, with you being a Chevy man I would have to believe you. Too bad you couldn't put a 5 th wheel hitch on the chevy 2 you play with. :laugh:

C Nash

Not a chevy 2 Poppa it's a CHEVETTE :eek: Hmmm 0 to 136 MPH in 5.85 seconds wonder if I could put that engine in my ford MH :eek:

hertig

I'm not thrilled with either manufacturer. Ford has allegedly been having problems living up to their warranty requirements (plus they want to reform society into their image). And GM sold me an expensive OnStar system (04 model) which they are withdrawing service from at the end of this year and claim is not technically possible to update to the new system (I know I won't get all the new functions, because they are wired in from the factory. But any competant engineer ought to be able to come up with a box which replaces the existing box, and provides the same functions as currently exist using the digital phone system). But it appears either they don't have any competent engineers, or they don't care once they have your money.

If it were me, I'd be taking a look at Dodge, and possibly even the new Toyota to see what they could do for me.

TexasClodhopper

Just a small point, John, about OnStar. The "system" you are talking about with OnStar has nothing to do with GM. It has very little to do with OnStar (other than they designed it that way.)

The fact is that the government has allowed the ANALOG cell phone system to go away. Your OnStar model was one year from being a DIGITAL cell phone. My 2005 has the DIGITAL system (just like all of our cell phones do now.) I have a similar problem with my house burglar alarm system. Only in that case ADT is able to change out the cell phone module by itself. In the case of OnStar, the whole system is a cell phone.

It is a very similar situation with the switch from TV to HDTV. Regulatory in nature.

hertig

Of course, the problem stems from the government (as do most problems :) ) dropping service for Analog Cellular (as they will do with analog TV in a couple years). But OnStar 'refuses' to make available a replacement digital 'cell phone'. The whole system is not a cell phone. There are a bunch of sensors and controls throughout the vehicle, which go into a module which is (or connects to) a cell phone. The box which contains the cell phone, and the antenna, ought to be replaceable. I'd gladly sign a multi-year contract and possibly also pay a bit to get that new box, but they currently say they won't do it.

Their solution - trade in the motorhome...

C Nash

John, Poppa is looking at the 95 to 99 year range powerstroke or 6.5 chevy so warranty want be a problem. Of the year range he is looking at I would go with the powerstroke even over the Dodge. Dodge was a good one but to noisey inside for me in those years. Hope DL don't read this :laugh:

Poppa

Hey guys, I really need something that has some power :cool: Been retired for 2 years and now have the opportunity to see the country that I have traveled for years but never had time to smell the roses. Out west I under stan they have some hills that are a little bit taller than those in Tennessee :laugh: Being retired as ya'll well know can't spend 50 grand on a tow :8ball: