Chicago to Grand Canyon

sjh9924

We are planning 2 week trip to the grand canyon this summer. We purchased a 30ft travel trailer last summer. Does anyone have know of a website that can help with planning the trip showing what is along the way that we may be interested in?

dennis1949

Re: Chicago to Grand Canyon

I use my GPS program, Street Atlas, Good Sam's Club web sight and the internet.
Good luck and have fun

C Nash

I just ask DL or Kirk :laugh: Maybe we will see you there sjh9924. Hope to be headed out that way this weekend but will be in south Texas until it warms some.

hertig

Good Sam's web site has a pretty good route program.

Note that 2 weeks for that trip is cutting it pretty fine. I regularly go between central IL and Tucson, AZ and I suspect it will take you 4 full days each way (or 3 very long days). 8 days out of 14 leaves only 6 for sightseeing.

The way I usually go is over to St. Louis, then down I44 to Oklahoma City, then I40 to the Grand Canyon area. With a trailer (to avoid the high, per axel toll, in OK) we went over to Kansas and then down I35 to OK city. A couple of places of interest off I40 in NM and AZ are the Petroglyph Natl Monument and the Meteor Crater. In the Texas panhandle, there is a smaller version of the Grand Canyon (Palo Duro Canyon); the best thing about it is you can drive down into it rather than riding mules as in the Grand Canyon.

In my opinion, the best way to see the (south rim) of the Grand Canyon is Marvelous Marv's tour. There is a nice RV park right off the interstate about 30 miles west of Flagstaff (Canyon Gateway Park perhaps). They are Passport America members so are cheap, and if you book the tour through them, there is a significant discout. Marv picks you up and busses you to the Canyon, shows you all the good stuff, gives lots of info, lets you eat and shop, and most importantly, avoid the crowds and the hassles of trying to see it on your own.

TexasClodhopper

hertig - 1/23/2008 1:37 AM ... In the Texas panhandle, there is a smaller version of the Grand Canyon (Palo Duro Canyon); the best thing about it is you can drive down into it rather than riding mules as in the Grand Canyon...

Smile, when ya say small about Texas, Podner! :clown:

DL Rupper

Too bad you don't have time to see the Grand Canyon from the North rim. Much higher and more spectacular.

Don't miss Palo Duro Canyon if you have time. 1 day down, 1 night stay min and out. :)

C Nash

Tex I thought Texas was large until I went to Alaska :eek: :laugh:

TexasClodhopper

I'm real proud of Alaska, too! I'm going back one of these days. And staying longer. Maybe I'll drive this time.

Buckeye Chuck

I agree about Good Sam's Club. Another is AAA. A good book to have on board for your trip is "THE NEXT EXIT" available from Amazon from $12. It gives you the information about what is available at just about every exit on every Interstate in the U.S. I would not go on a long trip without it.

Have fun,

-BC-

brodavid

I agree with Mr DL, If you are going to see the Grand Canyon, the north rim is the place,
Mr Tex, nothing in Texas is small, I also love to travel to Alaska, great place
love and prayers to all,
msjackie

G

Mr Tex ,, now i know his oil wells are doing good ,, pretty soon he won't even type to us unless we send a contrabution to his well sites ,, hey i'm JK around ,, bty Tex is going on a big cruise ,, infact i think he maybe on his way soon ,, so all wave at Tex :clown: ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: