Class A Business

Donaldo

Hello all,
This is my first post, and I would appreciate all the feedback I can get.
I live in Michigan, and as y'all know, things have been better in Michigan than they are right now. In December,the company that I worked for, elimimated 156 jobs, including mine. I've not found anything yet.
Back in the late 70's, I sold Pace Arrows, Travco's, Tioga's and Winnebago's, and loved it, until the Oil embargoes put us out of business. I would love to get back into selling RV's, but am wondering about how well the RV Industry (Class A's in particular) is performing, especially here in Michigan. I'm hoping that the Baby Boomers are saying, "To heck with it, it's now or never, let's by the thing and hit the road."
If any of you have any ideas about this, I need your input.
Thanks,
Donaldo

utmtman

Re: Class A Business

Heck there is a slow down that has caused a company or two to close and a couple more to cut back employees but the business is still there.

Donaldo

Thanks for your input. I'm thinking that the Retirees are going to go RVing regardless.

H2H1

hey Lee I am following you on that one. It may slow us down but it's going to stop us old retiree. I think most of us have worked long and hard to get where we are now and not giving it up just because of the fuel cost. just a little lees traveling, but still getting out there to see the land of the beautiful. :) :cool: :laugh:

utmtman

Only problem I have with it, is workamping to be able to keep on a truckin. LOL DW and I figure two or three more years and than we can just enjoy and have fun without the workin.

onthecoach

I wonder, in view of the current fuel prices (we will see $4/gal - $5 gal w/in another year!) if there will be another down-turn in RVing??? Those of us who are out there now...asre not willing to give it up and will do just about anything we need to --- to keep ourselves on the road! But the potential NEWBIES may be to frightened by the fuel prices, campground rates and ins rates to take the leap!

TexasClodhopper

The heck with the "NEWBIES", Lynn. All of those things scare me like six gun in a saloon fight! :clown:

utmtman

I think the only people not scared are the rich and famous.
Donaldo, I work mainly at National Parks as a visiter center host. They give us a full hookup campsite for four days of working and its fun to meet people from all over the world. And it also gives us the opportunity to really get to visit a site and see all there is to see. Also most of those parks will take the employees on private tours to areas within the park usually not accessible to visitors so we get to see what others never do.

Donaldo

utmtman,
How did you hook up,with the Nat'l Park Service. If you don't want to rell your secrets, that's ok. No sense in messing up a good gig.

polarisrzr

i did the army corp of eng,camp grounds and they Pay fair and you get a free camp site if you want to work, its a bid job lots,of work, lots, up 16 hours a day 7 days a week,

H2H1

I know we are out there Rv'ing and most respect for those who can full time ands work camp but I don't call working 16 hrs -7 day week camping , damn that hard work :( I wouldn't mind a few days A week to off set the cost some but not getting into a work schedule like that :laugh: I enjoy what I am doing now but I am ready to hang it up AGAIN!!!!

DL Rupper

We work camped at Capitol Reef Nat'l Park in southern UT in 2001. We were campground hosts and both worked 4 days on 3 days off. It was great and we enjoyed it. However, we both said it was a great experience, but not to be repeated. It was hard work and we didn't have to clean any commodes. I single handedly kept their huge, huge lawn green (3 20 site circles) by pulling huge water hoses around and changing the settings and at the same time trying not to flood all the tenters.

Well worth the experience, but now we are much older and definitely not wanting to workamp; however, it is getting hard to keep up with the campground rate raises and rising fuel prices. Waiting on my economy stimulus tax refund to purchase new tires for the 5er.

Donaldo, check out Nat'l Park Service on line. They should have info on campground hosting.

elkhartjim

16 hours/7 days/week...god I didn't do that before I retired. Now I want to do not much 16 hours/7days. I've been out trapping wild hogs today. Got 5. Fresh sausage anyone.