Class A Gasser Problems

utmtman

Went camping this past week and enroute I had a problem going up hill. My rv started to hiccup or so it felt and when we got to the top of the mountain it said to check transmission temperature. Our 8.1 will Allison does not have a temp gage that I am aware of.
Had no further problems with it after that except it just did not seem to have th power it had before.
Also while camping our water heater board went out again for the fourth time. This was the third time with a Dinosaur board. Could find no one in Utah that used Dinosaur so went back to the OEM board. Was told Dinosaurs are crap and yet in Arizona everyone swore by them. I went thru two Dinosaur boards in two month in Arizona. Go figure.

LEN

Re: Class A Gasser Problems

Lee call Mike and see if he can help out. From what you discribe I would think you have a plug wire problem for power but with the trans temp thing, how was the motor temp going up hill, I would think you would see the coolant temp climb if the trans had a problem.

LEN

utmtman

Vehicle temp stayed normal. I sent an email to Mike and he said it could be a loose plug wire. I am taking it in tomorrow for the 30,000 mile maintenance, will have them check the wires and plugs while its in the shop. I had to cross a couple of other passes after that first one and it ran fine but it seemed gutless or lacking in power. The first mountain I could not get it to run past 27 mph. It would run up to that speed but than it would drop in power without going over it. The rest it would at least get up to 32 to 35 mph.

C Nash

Lee,
Have you changed the gas filter? Computer probably has a sensor for the trans temp. Was the transmission downshifting on the pull?

G

Lee ,, have them ck the cat converter ,, u may have one that is on it's way to getting plugged up ,, JMO :)

miket

Sounds like a burned plug wire or plugged fuel filter. You didn't provide any year info, but 2004 and up switched to a one inlet, two outlet filter only available from Workhorse or GM for about $60.00. There are no after-market filters available.

The temp gauge is software driven and stays mid range while actual water temp fluctuates 20 degrees or so.

If you go to a Workhorse Service Center have them check your Vin # for recalls, etc.

utmtman

I went to a workhorse shop for my 30,000 maintenance. They found nothing wrong with wires or anything that their computer checks. I did have them change the fuel filter they also changed the air filter and tranny filter. While checking brakes and rotating tires found all four of my rotors to be cracked. Good grief from an 800 dollar maintenance to a 3500 dollar repair. Had to ship the rotors in from Reno and they also checked the calipers due to the recall on them and mine were fine. I could not believe all four rotors cracked and yet my brakes were not shot. And we never over load the brakes even when going down hill I rarely use them using the tranny instead.
Also have our dolly in the shop for a bent tie rod bar but insurance is paying part of that bill. This is one expensive month.

C Nash

Wow, hard to believe all 4 rotors were cracked Lee. Thought the Allision transmission was supposed to do a lot of the braking. No way rotors should fail in 30k miles under normal driving even on a heavy MH. Upside I guess it's good you caught it before they failed while needing them. Sure the shop showed you the rotors. I would have kept them in case there is a recall but guess the bill would take care of it.

H2H1

dang Lee sorry to hear about you problems. This must be the month for repairs. We had some bad luck this trip out also. BUT LOOK AT THE BRIGHT SIDE you found them before anything happen WHILE ON THE ROAD. Sorry we missed u in SD , maybe we can bump into you next year. take care

utmtman

Yea it was a pain. The offered to box up the rotors for me if I wanted to drag them around until I could find a way to warranty them. I chose not to. I do think the bill will cover it. I am glad we caught it though.

miket

RE: Class A Gasser Problems

Make sure your brake fluid was flushed. Part of the brake issue is due to moisture in the brake fluid swelling the phenolic piston in the caliper. They hope to have the fix out by October --- Maybe ---

utmtman

Well part of the 30,000 maintenance was flushing and replacement of the brake fluid and they said it was done and I paid for it, so hope they took care of it.