cleaning black streaks

thehalls

i have a 2 yr old aluminum sided trailer , noticed a couple of black streaks after towing in the rain. washed with light detergent and brush it all did not come off, are these streaks algie and would it hurt the siding if ai sprayed with a diluted solution of water and bleach let soak then rinse off. or is this not what the streaks are and is there a easier method of removing them.....

ed hall

C Nash

cleaning black streaks

RV supply stores sell products made for cleaning these black streaks but, I use auto wax with a cleaning agent and elbo greese on my fiberglass sides. Have alse used on aluminum rv but, I would try on a small area first to see how it works. The wax will make the streaks easier to remove later when washing. Black streaks are something we Rvers fight all the time. Been thinking about just adding black stripes down mine! Think it's a thing called smog washing off the tops. Good luck

Chelse L. Nash
fulltimer03@yahoo.com

Will Daniels

cleaning black streaks

I enjoy reading Mr. Nash's replies,always very interesting and humorous.I use tire cleaner (Westley's) on the aluminun sides of my trailer with good results.Spray on dry trailer,let it set for a minute,then wash off with a sponge.Then wash the whole trailer with Zip Wax or something comparable.Remember to wash the roof once in a while,that also helps.

C Nash

cleaning black streaks

Thanks Will, bet I drive all the english teachers crazy with the spelling!! Guess that's why they have the place to preview before posting.:)

Chelse L. Nash
fulltimer03@yahoo.com

Ron Miller

cleaning black streaks

When your talkin aluminum sided trailers you are talkin painted aluminum sided trailers right. Cuz I just went thru a half a gallon of that 30 dollar a gal. black streaks stuff. With rags, brushes high power sprayer. It did remove the streaks dull the paint and wear out my arm. Spray on and rub off my!

I'll try that tire cleaner next thanks for the tip Will! :)

Ron

ARCHER

cleaning black streaks

Folks,
I have a boat and an RV and both get the black streaks. On the boat I have tried Marine Black Streak remover with some success, however, the best stuff I have found is Castrol (I call it purple cleaner, cause it is a purple color). I get it at Wally World by the gallon and it can be diluted to various strenghts. It has worked on darn near everything (grease, black streaks, mildew), including my SKIN (did not remove my skin, just the stains from oil, grease, etc.) :laugh: I normally buy several gallons when it is on sale for around $4.99 to $6.99). Seriously, I use it for almost all my cleaning needs and it great.
You might want to try it and judge for yourself. Test it on a small area first to see how it works. ;) :) :laugh:

Ron Miller

cleaning black streaks

Archer, I pick some of that up too after work. It kills me to see my investment lookin so bad! Well I think it looks bad.

Ron

Ron Miller

cleaning black streaks

ARCHER, that Castrol Super Cleaner works great! I just sprayed it on and took a soft brush and soapy water and zim zam zoom no more black streaks.

Thanks so much for the tip.

Ron

ARCHER

cleaning black streaks

Miller,
Glad it worked for you. Ya just gotta make sure you rinse it real good, depending on the strength your using.
Enjoy your investment and don't hesitate to ask questions on this forum. Lots of good people out there that will help ya out, I'm sure.

:cool:

wdoan

cleaning black streaks

quote:Originally posted by thehalls

i have a 2 yr old aluminum sided trailer , noticed a couple of black streaks after towing in the rain. washed with light detergent and brush it all did not come off, are these streaks algie and would it hurt the siding if ai sprayed with a diluted solution of water and bleach let soak then rinse off. or is this not what the streaks are and is there a easier method of removing them.....

ed hall

wdoan

cleaning black streaks

I have a 2 yr old 5th wheel with fibreglas sides. My previous trailer was also fibreglas and the 2 rigs before that were alum sided. I agree, the black streak problem is the pits. However, we have found that using Mean Green does the job. Mean can be purchased at Dollar General for $2.50 a gal, it also comes in a spray bottle. Just spray it on the streak, let set for a minute, hit it with a soft bristle brush and hose off with water. On the alum side you will probably need to use a stiff bristle brush on the streak. Used to really tick me off when I wore my arm off trying to get that streak off, tried all the commerially made stuff from Camping World/RV dealers/etc., nothing seemed to work and all it did was put a dent in my wallet.