Coachman Catalina transformer

mondo

The transformer on my 88 Coachman Catalina has been making a humming sound and has been hot (not burning but lets say concerninglyy warm)....is it telling me it's dying and it needs to be changed or can I get another year out of it?

C Nash

Re: Coachman Catalina transformer

Do you mean converter? Is the humming louder than it was before? Battery may be going bad. Heat is normal but there shoul be a fan that comes on to cool it. Check to see if it's working. If the fan does not work it want live long. All this is assuming you are talking about a converter.

mondo

RE: Coachman Catalina converter

yes..I'm sorry converter...the humming is fairly loud...I purchased the RV 2 months ago so I'm not sure how loud it was before. I did purchase a new battery 1 month ago.

G

Mondo ,, i have done 3 forrest river models ,, class c ,, and they were less than a yr old ,, all had converters blown ,, and they all started due to to heat ,,, can u get to u'r converter easily ,, most are mounted in the rear storage area ,, if u have one ,, also might be a one unit ,, breaker box/fuse panel/converter ,, any if u can get to the converter ,, see what type it is ,, if it's made by WFCO ,, u can have it replaced under warranty ,, if it's less than 2 yr's old ,, there should be a date on the converter ,, let us know back :approve: :approve: :approve:
OOPs i jsut reread u'r post ,, and it's an 88 model ,, won't be under warranty ,, damn i need to read all the post first :disapprove: :disapprove: :disapprove: :disapprove:

G

if it's the all i one unit ,, no prob ,, that is if u have a few electrical skills ,, but if the fan is the prob ,, u can replace just that ,, and save quit a few bucks ,, what name and model is u'r converter ,, i cna look it up and see if there is infact a replacement fan for u'rs ,,, most are ,, :approve: :approve: :approve: :)

mondo

thank you. it is a:
Magneteck B-W Manufacturer
Series 6300A Model
6345 UL
45 Amp output

Thanks for all you help