COACHMAN LEPRECHAUN CLASS C MOTORHOME

MY HUSBAND AND I ARE RECENTLY RETIRED AND LOOKING TO FULLFILL OUR DREAM OF TRAVELING THE USA. WE ARE CURRENTLY LOOKING AT A 2003 CLASS C COACHMSAN LEPRECHAUN WITH FORD E450 V10 GAS ENGINE. WE HAVE HEARD SOME PRO (FROM DEALER) AND CONS (FROM A FRIEND WHO DOES NOT HAVE THIS MOTORHOME) TO STAY AWAY FROM COACHMAN IN GENERAL. WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INPUT WE CAN GET SINCE WE ARE REAL NOVICES AT RVING.

C Nash

Re: COACHMAN LEPRECHAUN CLASS C MOTORHOME

Welcome to the forum Robin, I would rate the Coachman somewhere in the middle. I would be more concerned about the care it had received. Look for any signs of leaks especially around the front top cab area. Check for any soft spots. Is it from a dealer or owner? How many miles? Does it have service records? Be sure to stay in it long enough to see if it will be confortable living fulltime in? Even a 2003 can have serious problems. Look around and never buy the first thing you fall in love with. Shop around. Good luck and keep us posted.

TexasClodhopper

I agree with Chelse, a class C with a window in the cab-over bunk area is going to leak there. You'll find rotted wood.

RE: COACHMAN LEPRECHAUN CLASS C MOTORHOME

THANKS FOR THE INFO, WE WILL DEFINATELY CHECK OUT THE CAB AREA OF THE CLASS 3'S WE LOOK AT. I KNOW THE FORD V10 IS A GAS GUZZLER, THAT'S CERTAINLY SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT. WE HAVE JUST BEGUN TO LOOK AT RV'S AND IT'S A LOT TO TAKE IN! WE ARE NOT SOLD ON CLASS 3 MOTOR HOME, BUT THOUGHT THSAT MIGHT WORK BEST FOR US. WE COULD BE WRONG! WE ARE OPEN TO ANY SUGGESTIONS OR ANY EXPERIENCES YOU MAY HAVE.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

C Nash

I would not rule out the class A or maybe a fifth wheel for fulltiming. Most fulltimers chose one of these but, I have seen fulltimers in tents so go with what suits you just do your research.

TexasClodhopper

The Ford V-10 is not any more of a gas guzzler than most other gassers. It all depends on how hard you push your foot.

C Nash

I have a 32 ft Hr class A V10 Ford and average 8MPG. Best I have ever got was 13 and worse 6 while using generator driving so kids could stay cool in rear.

G

well i have a class A also ,, and a DP ,, and i get about 6mpg ,, but as tex and nash have said ,, look at every detail u can ,, u don't want to be out on the road ,, and then decide this is not really fun ,, or the really bad one ,,,, damn ,, how come the front of the class c is drooping ??,, yes tex is right ,, i have seen it more than twice ,, window over cab is a good area to have a leak ,, and many do not think to take care of it in time ,, and by that time ,, the cab over bunk is now in the driver's area :eek: :eek:

H2H1

IF U BUY AND THEN FIND SOME ROT,,,, just take it to Ken he is getting a lot experience on rebuilding from the ground up. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LEN

One little tip to find any rot is to press with the fingers all along where the sides meet the top(interior) and also around all windows. Many moons ago this saved me many $$$$ as I was inspecting a Winnie and when I got to the rear I pushed on the drives side back,top,side and my finger(although the interior looked good) went straigh to the aluminum outer shell. The owner when nut and said what do you do. The whole back corner was rotted out. Needless to say I passed on this one. Also look for softness in the floor, again give special attention to floor side connection. Loose tiles is not necessarily an indication of a problem other than the loose tile itself.

LEN

LEN

RE: COACHMAN LEPRECHAUN CLASS C MOTORHOME

Hi Guys,

There may be a change of plans, we looked ast sa CLass A 2006 Thor Four Winds Hurricane, we were very impressed, now we have to crunch numbers and are doing our research. The RV looked very clean and has 9600 miles on it. Of course if we we will go back to the dealer for a more through inspection if we deceide to go through with the deal. Has anyone had any experiences with this motorhome or could give us some tips as to what to look for. My husband has made up as pretty good spread sheet with things for us to check out, but I am sure there may be items we forgot.

Thanks again for all our comments.

Robin
World Travelers Not ( but we are working on seeing the USA. :)

C Nash

I would start with asking if you could speak with the former owner but, that may not be possible due to privacy laws. Go over all that has been mentioned above and do not sign anything until ever thing is checked and work promised is done. Do not take their word that something will be done later. Get it in writing. Not famaliar with the Four Wind. Which Chassis does it have. Be sure and check the CCC rating which is very important. It will be listed in one of the cabinets.

C Nash

Cargo carrying capacity or the weight of our stuff we need to carry with us. Some have very little CCC. Adds up pretty quick when we start loading. If just a weekend camper I would want at least 1000 lb and if fulltiming 3000. You could get by with less if just weekenders IMO.

H2H1

here we go again :( :( :( :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: