Cold Weather Traveling

kotr

I am going for a small ride this weekend [about 250 miles] and I am wondering how many leave the furnace on while traveling down the road to keep the heat in the 5th so the water doesn't freeze up? When it is cold I usually don't travel as far and shut the furnace off while on the road. Thanks for any replies.

hertig

Re: Cold Weather Traveling

This is a similar question as whether to run the refridgerator while driving. Some say its ok, some say its not. My experiance is that it is a pain, as the flame tends to blow out. I suspect the heater would have the same exposure.

In any case, it is recommended to shut it down before pulling into a gas station :)

Texas_Camper

Where is your destination? If a campground, why not just travel with the tanks empty and fill up there.
If you plan to boondock, how much water will you require? Perhaps you could use some plastic 6 gal collapsable water jugs. Just fill them with 5 gal each, leaving room for expansion if they did freeze, then draw water from each one when needed. I agree that the heater flame would probably blow out on the road. And it's easy to forget to stop and turn off the heater BEFORE you enter the gas station driveway. In very cold weather, it would be tempting just to chance it and pull on in with the furnace lit.
I tow with the fridge on 12 V. Never on propane, just too dangerous for me....
hope this helps....

DL Rupper

Not sure, but if you are only going 250 miles I would think the movement of the RV would keep the water in the tanks from freezing. However, you may still have a problem with the water in the water lines. It probably depends on how cold it is. If it is in the 20's you probably won't have any problems. On the other hand if it is in the teens you may have a problem. I don't think I would travel with the furnace running. First thing you will probably do is forget about it and pull into a gas station and the furnace will kick on and go boom. :(

Grandview Trailer Sa

I know all about traveling with the Refer. on, but have never heard of traveling with the furnace on. Even though the flame would be protected from the wind, it does not strike me as a good idea.

kotr

In the pas I have always traveled with my refer on, never had a problem. The refer has automatic ignition so if the pilot blew out I never knew it. Guess I will try to leave the furnace on as it to will either shut down or relight if the flame goes out. I have plenty of fuel on board to make the trip easily with out fueling until I drop the unit off at a camp ground. Hopping the temps will be nicer come Friday, today the high was 8 and to night is -3, but tomorrow is going to be 19. By Friday we are hoping for mid 30's and Sat the mid 40's [OBOY]. Thanks for the tips. Let you know what happens!

s.harrington

I watched a trailer burn to the ground because a guy left his heater on while traveling. We think some paper may have fallen onto the heater from a drawer above it and ignited. We manage to break out a window and retrieve some valubles and remove the propane tanks but it was toast before the fire dept got there.

kotr

Thanks for the warning Steve, I made sure there was nothing near the furnace; but when it came time to leave it was zero out so I was afraid to even put water in the tank and called ahead to make sure I could get water at my destination. Everything worded out after we got to warmer climate.