Colorado in the Fall...

Twitch

We will soon be first time RVers and are thinking of driving to Estes Park, CO for the elk rut. What should I expect RV-wise in that area mid-to-late Sept/early Oct? We have been to Estes several times but only in summer. What will the RV "density" then? Are RV parks closing for the season then? If not, I presume its wise to make a reservation? Any pointers for exceptional RV parks there in the surrounding areas? Tips? Hints?

Not sure where we will go afterward, perhaps the Grand Canyon. Same questions as above? Anyone?? Thanks!

DL Rupper

RE: Colorado in the Fall...

Hey Twitch, you need to get a copy of Trailer Life RV Directory. The Directory gives you opening and closing dates of all listed RV Parks. If all else fails you can get into a RV Park down the mountain from Estes just off of I-25 (Loveland, Co). We stayed there about 3 years ago in early May. I believe the RV Parks down there are open year around. Anyway it is only about an hours drive from there to the Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park. After you leave there, try a trip over the mountains (I-70) into Greenriver, Ut. From there you can hit Ut Route 191 to Moab, Ut and see Arches and Canyonlands Nat'l Parks and on over through Monument Valley, AZ and on to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.

hertig

Re: Colorado in the Fall...

There is a trailer park right off the freeway about 20 miles west of Flagstaff. 'Gateway to the Canyon Park' or something like that. They belong to Passport America, and are affiliated with Marvelous Marv's Grand Canyon tour (big discount if you have the park book the tour). Marv picks you up and takes you to great places along the canyon, with lots of information and avoiding most of the crowds and other annoyances you usually run into if you try to do the Canyon on your own.

Kirk

Re: Colorado in the Fall...

Twitch
First of all, it is still early for the Elk mating season. That usually does not begin until around mid Setpember and lasts for three or four weeks. That is a great area so you could easily spend the time to wait for it. You will need reservations if you expect to be there over Labor Day as it is usually packed. Once that long week end is past the crowds drop off pretty rapidly. It is also wise to keep in mind that once September arrives it can snow at that elevation. Be sure to take warm clothing with you as nigts will be quite cool to down right cold. If it should snow, just stay put at it doesn't last long that early in the year. By mid Sept. the aspens will be turning to gold and it is a beautiful sight.

If you go to Grand Canyon area, hertig is correct about the "Gateway RV Park." And it is good to hear that Marv is still doing the tours as we took his tour back in the fall of 2001 and really enjoyed it. He truely loves the canyon and really knows his stuff. We felt that it was well worth the time and money. In between you might want to visit Pike's Peak and the Garden of the Gods in the Colorado Springs area. It would also be a nice time to visit Sante Fe, NM as you go south.