compartment lights on 89 bounder

bounty hunter

i have purchased a 1989, 34' fleetwood bounder class A, and i cant get any of my outside compartment lights to work. i checked and i dont have any power to the switches. are they a switch to power up the switches?

ARCHER

compartment lights on 89 bounder

Just a few thougts....make sure your aux batteries are charged, make sure the aux batttery switch is in the on position (on dash I think), let us know.... ;)

bounty hunter

RE: compartment lights on 89 bounder

i've checked all the fuses and circuit breakers that i have found, and all check good. i feel like there should be a main switch that would keep you from checking all compartments(to be sure they are switched off), and just throw 1 switch and they are all off, but i havent found it yet. i thought it might be the headlight switch, but it dont power the compt. switches up.

C Nash

Re: compartment lights on 89 bounder

There should be a main switch inside the rv to turn power on to the compartment lights. On my HR it is located inside by the entrance door.

ARCHER

Hey Chelse,
We will be going back to Florida this winter and will be heading by your neck of the woods the end of Oct. Sure would be nice if we could get a cup of coffe this trip somewhere close to you. We are not scheduled to check into Florida campground until 1 Nov, and are leaving around the 28th of Oct, so are planning on taking our time getting there. Maybe this trip.

Shadow

Archer, let us know also so Shirley and I can hook up with ya this time. Chelse would be a bonus. :laugh:

C Nash

Great :) Sure hope we can get together for that coffee :)

ARCHER

That would be just great. We'll be on I-65 heading South around the 28th of Oct. We can stop at a central location close to both of you and we could have a "first" reunion.

rlmurraysr59

My Southwind, also built by Fleetwood, has four switches just inside the entry door. One is labeled Luggage and it turns on the power to the compartments. If you don't have an owners manual you might go to the Fleetwood website and see if you can get one.

Funny story: I was on a trip back from Michigan last year when my serpintine belt blew. I had the airconditioner compressor replaced under warranty and the mechanic had failed to run a mounting bolt through the bracket that held a wiring harness up. The bracket got down on the belt and slowly shredded it. When I had it towed to a Semi Truck repair shop in Beckley, WV the mechanic said it would be easy to fix. He got the new belt and was looking for a diagram on how the serpentine went over the pulleys. I ask him if he would like to see a Workhorse Chassis service manual. He looked at me and said, "I ain't never met anyone who actually carried a service manual like that around with them." Had the belt on properly in just a few minutes. I was glad I invested the money. :)

bounty hunter

i have checked everywhere, and they didn't put a switch for mine(or someone removed it, maybe doing some carpet updates). i am going to run a new wire to the front compartment, through a new switch, with a circuit breaker, and it will power up all compartment lights. i have done this just running a wire to it, and it worked. thanks for all the input.

C Nash

Sometimes that's the best way if you don't have a wiring diagram. Long as it works go for it :)

rlmurraysr59

I would think that the compartment lights would use a common ground to the frame and a seperate hot wire. Is it red, white, black, etc. You could trace it down to find out where it went. I can't imagine why anyone would disconnect or remove a switch from a convience like compartment lights. Make sure you label your new switch in case you sell your Bounder. The next owner might wonder what that switch is for and might remove it. LOL.

Poppa

120 volt power is black wire hot white wire groung or netrual. DC power red is hot and black is ground