Confused about converters

I have a magtec converter 45 amp, it has the optional battery charger built in. I checked the voltage coming from the converter and it is showing about 13.5 volts when plugged into shore power, coming out of the battery charger. When I went to the house batteries, which were disconnected, I put the voltmeter on the neg and postive cable, and showed no voltage. Shouldn't I be getting at least the maintance charge showing on the volt meter. I've checked the wires from the converter to the battery house and there ok. I'm afraid that my 2 6 volt golf cart batteries will take a big hit if I hooked them up. Any suggestions or am I really confused about the converter. :eek: :eek: :question:

Kirk

One would have to know a little more about your conberter to say for sure. It may be that the converter has a "smart" charge circuit and when it reaches peak voltage, which would happen either with a fully charged battery, or in your case with an open circuit, the charger turns off. I suggest that you start by reading the papers that came with the converter. I also wonder why you would operate the converter with the battery disconnected? The 13.5V sounds proper.

Kirk:

The reason the house batteries were disconnected was that they were just replaced with the 6 volt trojans. The previous batteries were hooked up and the motorhome was plugged in to land power once a month for a day to keep the others charged, but they went dead, so I wanted to check to see if the charger was throwing a charge to the house batteries by placing a volt meter on the + and - lines. The charger is an Magneteck that is no longer made, and the company has sold out to another. by running a google search I can't find a schemtic or book on this converter.

Thanks for you help

Jerry

I don't know if they will help or not, but Parralax (i think spell right) replaced Magnetec in the trailers we sell. I believe they bought them, but not sure. Good Luck

If you go to RVERSCORNER.COM, click on RVMAINTANCE ART., scroll down to ELECTRICFYING, and then Magnetek conv. You will find a sch. dia. of the unit in question. The output charge voltage is adj.

Hope this helps...