Confusion

Mariot53

I have been researching class C’s. My wife and I ar in our late 60’s, and already own a travel trailer. We’re thinking of buying a class C instead of hauling the trailer. My confusion starts with the build of the camper. It seems that most are built in simple van chassis, that require modifications to make them safer and more roadworthy. If I’m spending $70-80,000 on a camper, shouldn’t I be able to get in and drive it? Then there’s new sway bars, springs, air bags, engine mods. The list seems endless. So, for you class C’ers, why should I change? Which require the least maintenance, and are most reliable. Too old to be crawling under vehicles. 😁

Cindy Hendricks

Administrator
Staff member
Valid questions Mariot53. My parents had a Class C a long time ago and we all loved it. Can't wait to hear the feedback you get.

C Nash

All will require maintiance. Look at the f450 or gm 4500 chassis. Lot depends on how you plan on using the rv. Depends on your expections. Most anything there are things you can do to improve. Most are made tp do what they are intended for straight off showroom floor. Most are not intended for off road use. The higher end class cs will run well over 1 hundred K. Just do your homework.

Soujrnr

Thank you. Much more research to do. It’s February in Ohio, so we’ve got time.
Did you decide on a motorhome yet? We have a 30-ft. Class C with 111,000 miles on it. It is on a Ford E350 chassis and has a 460 engine. The engine is a total beast. The rest of the motorhome is in in good shape but they do require some upkeep. We just had a tune-up, all new brakes, and I also had two new custom-made driveshafts made because mine had corrosion at the weld beads and I just don't want to chance a failure during our cross-country move in a couple of months. I also did some electrical modifications myself (put in two new battery monitoring systems to keep an eye on the battery statuses) and I put a TPMS system in place. TPMS is "tire pressure monitoring system" in case you aren't familiar with the acronym. There is much peace of mind to be had when I can know at a glance how my tire pressures are at any given time.

Safe travels!

Mike