Convert 30amp to 50amp

JimE

I own a 1993 Winnebago Brave 31' that has a 30amp service. When running on shore power, you must select either the front or rear AC unit. When running on the genset, you can run both. Living in Texas during the summertime, you cannot cool down the motorhome running only one AC unit. It seems the internal wiring is rated at 50amps, as it runs that way on generator power. Would I be taking any risks by bypassing this front/rear AC switch and use a 30-50amp adapter cord so I can hook up to 50amp services?

Grandview Trailer Sa

Convert 30amp to 50amp

The 30-50 adapter would still only allow 30 amps. in the coach. I don't think you would change anything, if I understand correctly.

JimE

Convert 30amp to 50amp

I am looking to just bypass the front/rear AC switch and use a 50 amp service hook up instead of a 30. Would'nt that allow me to run both AC units when on a 50amp shore power?

Ed H.

Convert 30amp to 50amp

The only way to answer your question is to have an electrician look at the wiring in your unit. You would have to basically rewire the shore line system with a larger cord, probably a different breaker panel, and then rewire the branch circuits for the A/C.
Just plugging in to a 50 amp outlet doesn't increase the capacity of the motorhome's internal circuits...kind of like the way fols used to put pennies in their fuse boxes. Ask any fireman what that can do.

Ed H.

Convert 30amp to 50amp

The only way to answer your question is to have an electrician look at the wiring in your unit. You would have to basically rewire the shore line system with a larger cord, probably a different breaker panel, and then rewire the branch circuits for the A/C.
Just plugging in to a 50 amp outlet doesn't increase the capacity of the motorhome's internal circuits. Overloading the power cord or breaker panel could lead to an electrical fire.

Johnny-O

Convert 30amp to 50amp

No you cannot just bypass the switch. To upgrade to a 50 amp service requires that you rewire your 110 breaker. The 30 amp service is one 110 leg run with 10ga wire. A 50amp service is two 110 legs wired with 6ga wire. Your generator has two 110 legs, the second leg is dedicated to the rear AC only.
:( The Boz