Cost of RVing

DL Rupper

We have been checking out the daily cost to stay at RV Parks Nation wide in our brand new (2008) TrailerLife Campground Directory. The cost is jumping $5 to $10 a year at most campgrounds. The lower end campgrounds are running $30/35 per night and the upper end are going at $45/65 per night. What with the cost of fuel, I'm starting to wonder how long I'll be full timing. Can't say I've seen less RV's heading south for the winter either.

Anybody else noticed the cost of RVing going up, up and AWAY? :(

Shadow

RE: Cost of RVing

Sounds about right. The closer I get to retirement the higher everything gets. Sure hope you don't have to give it up DL. Sure do envy you.

brodavid

Re: Cost of RVing

I did, I was looking over campgrounds ads for this upcoming year and found out that I will have to feed David PB&J sandwiches without the bread to make up for the extra costs. We went to price a bigger RV so David could have more room to move around and I got sticker shocked. But all in all a good day.
BTW one of the RVs we look at had a cummins diesel and the other had a Mer Benz .Which is Better?

love msjackie

G

I have noticed this myself ,, i have a couple of long time customers ,, (back to the auto reapair shop) anyway they are gonna hang it up this next year ,, they have been lucky and prob has DL ,, done most of the country and seen all too ,, but with everything going up and their fixed income still the same ,, they can't afford it anymore ,, i wish i was older and could of had the chance to see what and do what all of u have done ,,, yes i want to fulltime ,, but the way that it is going ,, i don't see how ,,, my fuel bills for the rv service have doubled in the past 2 months ,, and now i seen where fuel went up again today ,, i hate to do it but i might have to pass the fuel increse onto the cutomer ,, via a fuel charge for onsight calls ,, really hate to do this but what can we all do about it???? :(

G

I wil state what DL will say the Cummins is better ,, but since i have one too ,, i have to say that ,, but i have benn told that the Merc ,, is a good engine ,, but it's hard to find anyone to work on it ,, that's just hearsay though :approve: :laugh:

brodavid

Thanks I am looking around and when David feels better we will try a few out,
Also David said you got to do what you have to or you will not break even

msjackie

DL Rupper

My friend has an old classic Mercedes car and I know he pays through the teeth to have the engine worked on. There are lots of Cummins dealers that will work on the Cummins engine in a Motorhome and onboard Onon generator if that helps.

Notice I didn't tackle the question of which engine is best. Don't know. Dodge uses the Mercedes in the Class B's (Sprinter chassis) and a Cummins in the pickups

You need to figure into the equation the US Dollar is down, down, down against the Euro. That means you will pay more for the Mercedes engine and all parts for the engine. :(

It's like everything else, supply and demand. Aren't there more rv'ers these days? We like the National and State parks.

PattieAM

Are you utilizing any campground memberships? Passport America, CampClubUSA are a few memberships that can reduce your fees 50% with some restrictions and you will save your annual membership cost in just a few days of usage!

DL Rupper

Hey PattieAM, welcome to the forum. Passport America is not much good in Florida during the winter months. Of course not. That's when you want to use it. Most campgrounds in Florida restrict it's use from Nov - Mar. They want to get all they can get from the Snowbirds. .

We use PA when parks are available and don't charge extra for electricity, sewer and cable. However, we have found that PA it is usually good for only a small/restricted number of nights. Usually good from 1 to 3 nights. Sometimes you hit the jackpot and find a good PA campground without any restrictions

We like to move around a lot so it is hard to take advantage of monthly rates, which are lower than the nightly going rate. However, we are finding that the monthly rates are getting up around $700-$1000/month. That's getting pretty high to be able to sleep in your own bed.

It's getting hard to find decent, safe RV parks that don't charge over $35/night. We have spent many nights in State/Federal/local public parks, but most of them are located out in the middle of nowhere. Those places in the middle of nowhere are costing big bucks in fuel to get to a store for supplies. The first 3 years we fulltimed that was the only places where we camped. Gets old after awhile. Just how many pretty little lakes and wilderness GREEN areas can a person handle.

I won't hang it up this year, because next year my little red diesel will be paid for and I'll be off to the races again (figuratively speaking). :laugh: :laugh:

PattieAM

Thanks for the warm welcome -- didn't realize you were in FL when I read your post. I have a Thousand Trails membership which I bought resale, then upgraded - with the idea that I'd most likely go between the two FL campgrounds - 3 weeks in each, and maybe do an ELS....or ? (haven't done the snowbird/or full time thing yet...)

I understand the love of moving around, and I too wonder if I could endure a long term stay at any one place. I've been reading various forums on snowbirds/fulltimers and some have mentioned to offset the fuel costs/campground fees, they've done extended stays and/or workkamped.

My best to you and your wife in your travels....may your roads be good, fees be low and health allow you to enjoy!

brodavid

Hey PattieAM, welcome and you got the right idea, go and enjoy yourself while you can, been camping for over 20 years with david and this year almost missed half of it with him sick. Safe journeys wherever you travel.

msjackie

whitey

I'm like DL the price has gone way up, Here in Mississippi we had a price jump in our state parks from 11.00 a night to 22.00 dollars a night if you are 65 and older the price is 14.00 and 18.00. However; we are bless with a lot of COE parks and NFS Campgrounds. I may have another 5 years to camp and travel before i have to give it up. I already got my Rocking Chairs! and they are ready for me and Sweetthing. :angry: :angry: