DB or not DB That Is The Question

dmjaway

I understand that 68db in a generator is too loud for most RV camps, what would be the db range that would be acceptable in most circumstances?

We are considering the Honda EU3000is; 134lbs and 49db 1/4 load and 58db full load.

Dave

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: DB or not DB That Is The Question

If I remember correct, we speak about 60-62db. I have a Honda and it is not offensive. Would be a good choice.

DL Rupper

Honda's are good and they are quite. I like the dual 2000ie set up with the parallel hookup, but that might be more generator(s) than you need.

dmjaway

Browzin - 4/20/2007 7:31 PM The Federal Gov't has set limits on noise levels (60 db @ 50' (NPS limit) ) which can be found here ( http://klenger.net/arctic-fox/generator-noise/36cfr2.12-audio-disturbances.htm ) For a simpler explanation than the gov. wording go to this site. http://klenger.net/arctic-fox/generator-noise/index.html and then you can click on 36cfr2.212 if you want to read the gov. wording.

If I'm not mistaken Browzin, it looks like Honda's published db ratings are lower than Onan.

Dave

Browzin

dmjaway

Now as far as the published noise levels, I have never measured them with any type of measuring device, but I can say for fact that my Honda 2000 is alot quiter than my Onan 4000. Only time I use the Onan any more is when I need the A/C on or need more than one large appliance operating at one time.

dmjaway

We are considering spending allot of time in the southwest, mostly AZ so there will be times that the A/C will be the major factor.

Dave

ivaldespino

RE: DB or not DB That Is The Question

I have a friend that has the Honda EU3000 and he says he is very happy with it! When he turned it on, you could barely hear it. He was telling me that he can run his A/C and it runs fine, but if wants to use the microwave, he does have to shut A/C unit off. If you haven't priced them yet, get ready! My friend got his on E-Bay and paid $1600. That has probably been the best price so far that I have seen. If anybody out there knows of better pricing, please let me know. That's why I haven't gotten one yet! :(

hertig

I have the EU3000 and am very happy with it. It would not always start my A/C; sometimes it would stall out. I installed an 'easy start kit' in the A/C and then it always worked fine.

Bird Dawg

RE: DB or not DB That Is The Question

We recently sold our Honda EX5500 and upgraded to the Honda Eu6500ie for our embroidery business. We set up at dog shows and the judges are very particular about noise and possible distractions. We have never been told our Hondas were too loud and usually people commented on how quiet they are. My Honda 6500 is quieter than my Onan 5500 that is in my motorhome. I have seen people using the Yamaha 3500 and that is very quiet also.

s.harrington

The DB rating on generators is at 7 meters or about 23 feet. so that would be an acceptable rating @ 50 feet. I think my Onan makes that much noise just from rattling.