debate on skirting

pipelinemama

We've preparing to leave on another job and we will be in the north texas area for about 6 months. (we still don't know the name of exact town, i just know north of Lubbock) We have been discussing getting some type of skirting for our camper as a precaution, but have heard recently that this isn't necessary for a camper with a basement except under extreme conditions. (ours has the arctic package, for what's thats worth!)

I have two questions:

1) Is there validity to this statement about them not being necessary with fifth wheels with basements?

2) Are the winters typically pretty hard in this part of the country? (I've never spent any time in this area

I appreciate any input ya'll might have! :)

TexasClodhopper

Re: debate on skirting

Mary, any time you can keep the cold wind from surrounding your RV it is 'better' than not doing it.

Think of those highway overpasses. They warn you about "ice on bridge" way long before they warn you about "ice on road", because the bridges get the cold air top and bottom.

You will want to protect yourself from the north wind at least and first.

North Texas is cold country in the winter. Things will freeze and this will be a cold winter.

DL Rupper

I have spent many winters in Texas in a 5th wheel with no problems. I don't think I would go to the trouble and expense of skirting. Just my opinion. Although one of the coldest winters I have spent in an RV was in the Dallas area. :eek:

pipelinemama

I was thinking that even if it's not in danger of freezing up, i might just get one anyway to help keep it toastier inside. (I'm VERY cold natured!) I live near Hot Springs AR and I've already got out my Carharts! I'm thinking if it can be that cold in Dallas, I'd freeze where we will be. I'll at least be on the safe side. Thanks for your replies! Do the canvas types work well or would we be better off just building something more solid? (I've found several sites with building plans for them)

DL Rupper

It depends on if you want to keep it after you leave Texas. The canvas type can be folded up and transported fairly easy. The build your own would be harder to take along with you.

onthecoach

Hi, I am in the process of ordering skirting materials from www.EZSNAPDIRECT.com. I have several friends around the country who are ordering, too. It is DIY and will take some work, but cost is reasonable (compared to professional) and will last. As Clodhopper mentioned above, anything you can do to stay warm is a good thing! I have also shrink-wrapped all the windows, but the one over the sink. Also, getting covers for the AC's ont he roof. FYI--I am in Frederick, MD and it will get COLD and SNOWY here over the next 6 months!! We had our first frost last night!! :(

DL Rupper

You may want to get a couple of cloth covered foam insulation pillows to put in your roof vents for insulation as well as buy a roll of reflective 1/4 inch thick insulation that you can cut to size to place inside your windows. You can get the foam pillows and the roll of window insulation at Camping World or the just the window insulation at Lowe's.

Kirk

pipelinemama,

When spending a winter north of Lubbock, TX you will need to concern yourself with things like your water and sewer connections freezing up. That area is also quite windy and keeping that cold wind from under your RV will be very helpful.

pipelinemama

I'm so glad I asked ya'll this question! I had never thought of all this stuff. Now it looks like they are moving us further west than we thought, and we're going to be staying in the Roswell/Artesia NM area. (my boy's excited, he hopes to see aliens, hehe!) From what i've found online, there doesn't seem to be alot of difference in the weather other than may not be quite as cold. They are talking about sending us up north next summer, I am going to have the most mixed-up accent by the time we quit doing this! :clown:

If any of you knows of a good rv park in that area, I'd appreciate the info!

ARCHER

Skirting? I kind of remember the mini-skirting. I think it kept all us guys warm. :clown: