defense shotgun?

My wife and I are in our late sixties and travel off and on in a class C motorhome.
I have read very little on carrying a weapon while motorhomimg. The questions I have are:
Is it legal to carry a shotgun in all states?
Will you be allowed in state and federal parks?
What type would be the best to carry?
Any other questions that would apply?

I have never owned a shotgun, but I have several pistols and a 22 rifle. I was in the U.S.M.C. in the sixties and used various weapons then but not much since that time. Any advice on this subject would be appreciated. Thand you. :)

Steve H

RE: defense shotgun?

This is a very emotional topic on most RV forums!

Suffice to say...I carry when and whereever I legally can. There was a great web site called Packing.Org that currently is not operating. However, it's replacement is USA Carry. You should get some of your questions answered there.

Thank you for your service! Best of luck!

RE:National Parks...most have statements similar to this; No firearms or weapons, including state-permitted concealed weapons, are allowed in Yellowstone. However, unloaded firearms may be transported in a vehicle when the weapon is cased, broken down, or rendered inoperable, and kept out of sight. Ammunition must be placed in a separate compartment of the vehicle.

DL Rupper

Re: defense shotgun?

Hey Four Winds, I believe there is a book you can get through Good Sam Club that gives you the rules for carrying firearms in all the states. Most RV'ers just carry what they want. I haven't heard of any RVs being searched for firearms. You should be able to carry a shotgun unloaded in any RV. Hunters carry them while hunting out of state. You might want to get a nice little pump shotgun with a 18" barrel. :evil:

By the way OORAH--Semper Fi

THISTOYISHERS

Always check you never know when in this day and time they will stop youfor something rountine and get the permission to check your rv out if the guns are where they can see them.
take care,

Oakman

I ALWAYS carry a short barrel shotgun with me and 00 shot shells. I also carry a box of #7 shot so that I can state that I have the shotgun for hunting.

I have done this for years and haven't had a need to use the shotgun and I've taken it into parks that stated "no weapons." For the most part it is a "don't ask, don't tell" situation. I wouldn't dream of carrying a handgun...way too many laws concerning handguns.

LEN

And I was gunna ask if anyone but me carries guns everywhere they go. 12ga for hunting, 10mm for the hunted and 17 fieball for sabre toothed sage rats. Honest the gun ferry came by just before the Grizz decided my DP was a lunch box.

Oh and the question I thought the RV was my home.

LEN

tinkerer

Being a gun collector I usually recommend a slide action shot gun. Having load in the magazine is optional as the sound of the slide action is enough to scare just about anyone off. :cool:

sushidog

Much has been written and discussed on the subject of home defense weapons. There is no ideal weapon for all situations. I always carry a High Standard 22 derringer on my person as a last ditch defense arm. Next to last, is a stainless S&W 38 I keep in my glove compartment or camper. I chose the smaller caliber wheel gun for simplicity and reliability (I just sold my Detonics), as the DW might need to use it too. For a home defense arm that is simple to use, and effective, I chose a 20 gauge Mossberg pump, again for ease of use by my DW. Though I couldn't argue with someone who would choose a down loaded 12 gauge like the venerable Remington 870. #1 buck is recommended by 80% of the "experts" for a defensive load. I just gave a 12 ga. pump to my 25yr old. son for Christmas for a multi-use arm to add to his collection.

After Hurricane Katrina hit, I sadly loaded the large detachable magazine of my 30-06 Remington 742. My 9 yrs. in the Army taught me that when going into battle (the unfortunate situation that presented itself in the aftermath of Katrina) nothing beats a large bore assault rifle. My semi auto Remington is the closest thing I own to said weapon. My ideal choice in this area would be the HK 91 or the civilian version of the battle proven G3. Very expensive, but worth it.

Regardless which tool you ultimately choose to defend your life, the most important thing is to practice with it regularly in unfamiliar surroundings and all lighting conditions to ensure proficiency. Combat marksmanship is not about the score you shot at the range under ideal conditions last week. It's about what you can do on demand after being awoken in the dead of night, from a sound sleep. You should practice for the worst case scenario, where you'll be in abject terror, confused and taking fire from multiple armed aggressors. Not a pleasant thought, but combat never is. That's why it should be avoided at all costs.

G

agreed ,, i myself carry a 38 special when i travel ,, but don't think me or the wife won't use it ,, if we have too.. :)

Kirk

Guns of any kind are never legal in any of the national parks and not in many of our state parks. If a ranger should see you with a gun in any national park, they will write you a citation and impound the weapon. That said, I have at times had one with me, but keep it put away.

As to owning one for protection, although I have owned guns all of my life, I would consider the purchase of one for protection to be foolish for most people. If you do so, make sure that you understand that the protection only comes if you are willing to kill another human being. Give serious thought to that issue before you choose to carry. If you are sure that you will be able to do this then you may be somewhat safer with one if you also take the time to learn to use it well and if you practice with it on a regular basis.

I have probably traveled more miles with a firearm in my RV than I have without, but in all of that time ( more than 35 years) I have never had any reason to use one, or even to get it out. I know many who carry and have done so but ........................ If you do, by far the most safe one to use as well as the most effective is a shotgun. But I suggest that if you choose to do so, you may also want to do as I have chosen to and never say if you have one with you and never display it to anyone. I do own several guns of different types and makes and I might have one, as I often do.

Also realize that you can never take any gun or ammunition into Mexico with your and Canada does allow long guns for sporting purposes, with prior permission but never a hand gun. So do not carry any if you plan to cross a US border. You are highly unlikely to ever have any reason to need a gun, but if you should choose to get one, at least do it right. Learn how to use it well and realize that the purpose of it is to kill other human beings, which is not as easy or clear cut as most would have you believe. To carry a gun and then hesitate to use it will increase the danger in the unlikely event you are ever attacked.

Any rifle or pistol if used is likely to penetrate the wall of the RV next to you and you may well kill your neighbors. In addition, it takes far more practice to be proficient with such a weapon than it does for use of a shotgun, which would not endanger your neighbors. And for heaven's sake, never shoot until you can clearly see who it is that you are shooting or you may well kill your loved one!

rjf7g

How far would you go to protect your property? What if protecting your property meant risking your life and the lives of the people you love most? These are interesting questions and not ones I even considered when I bought my handgun last year. As I was shopping for a pistol to truly shoot cans and other targets (at 40 something, I finally outgrew my Red Ryder), the salesman was trying to talk me up from a .22 "in case you ever feel the need to protect yourself." I was amazed at how easy it is to buy a handgun in Virginia...it will be interesting to see the way this changes on the political heels of the VT massacre.

G

Hey bty "u'll put u'r eye out kid" :clown: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

DL Rupper

Don't think there will be any changes. It's our Constitutional right to buy and own guns. :evil: That right to own guns is what keeps any POLITICAL Party from imposing any draconian laws or unilaterally taking away our rights. :laugh:

C Nash

Good pair of running shoes might come in handy also :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .

aussie Keith

Did I just switch sites from RVUSA to RVIRAQ? While travelling in your great country for a year I hardly felt the need to shout at anyone, although did give an RV Park manager a surly look at one time. And he deserved it! Sorry state of affairs if you feel there is a need to be armed to the teeth to go camping! We did carry a mace spray, but that was confiscated when we crossed into Canada. If we had carried a gun in our MH I'm sure it would have been a greater danger to us than anyone else and I spent 11 years in the army. Post Katrina was probably a whole different story - but a once in a lifetime situation. The idea of civilians carrying shotguns in their cars and handguns in their pockets is as scary as the situation that may create that need. Especially as the majority would have no training in the handling of weapons and the situation when they may be needed or, at best, a hazy recollection. Just my opinion and no offence intended to anyone with a different one.

DL Rupper

Hey aussie Keith, Welcome to the Wild West. We have lots of bad folks that don't respect anyone's rights. We like our guns to make sure if we get in their way, we can defend ourselves. We also have lots of illegal's running amuck in our country. Some of them are armed drug runners and some are Islamic Terrorists. Better safe than sorry.

Full Timers carry their firearms with them because the RV is their home. If you owned guns before you started RVing you don't just up and get rid of them because you are traveling around the country.

Lots of the States have "carry concealed" laws. In order to carry a pistol in your pocket/concealed you have to take and pass a course in properly handing and firing pistols.

We don't take them across our borders. Big no, no.

Note we also don't try to tell Aussie's what to carry or not carry in Australia. Mainly because it's none of our business.

TexasClodhopper

"... confiscated when we crossed into Canada ..."

Keith, this is something that you are used to in Austraila, but believe me that is one main reason that you won't see me visiting Canada (or Australia.)

And now back to the topic of this thread ... PLEASE!

Four Winds asked:

Is it legal to carry a shotgun in all states?
Will you be allowed in state and federal parks?
What type would be the best to carry?
Any other questions that would apply?

Steve H

aussie Keith - 1/2/2008 1:45 PM Sorry state of affairs if you feel there is a need to be armed to the teeth to go camping!

I don't think most feel a need to be armed to the teeth but manyfeel comfortable having the added security of a firearm for personal protection. [COLOR= black]Studies indicate that firearms are used more than 2 million timesa year for personal protection, and that the presence of a firearm, without a shot being fired, prevents crime in many instances. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= black][/COLOR]To have a CPL,most states require applicants to befingerprinted, be checked by the FBI/State Patrol and meet local law enforcement standards. Some states require completion of a safety course. Permit holders must also meet Federal requirements to be approved for legal carry. Most often it is not the law abiding gun owners/carriers that we need be worried about...it is those that disregard the gun laws and most other laws for that matter. The criminal element generally has no training in use of or handling of firearms but they do know in what situation to use them.

In the ideal world there would be no murder, rape, assault, road rage, or whatever to defend oneself from but…there will always be bad guys. I don't anticipate ever having the occasion to use a firearm against another nor do I want to.The odds are infinitesimal. However, in choosing to carry a weapon I am prepared to do so should it become necessary.

I have no problem with your opinion and certainly no offense is taken! Guns are and always will be controversial. I enjoy shooting sports and the right to carry!

Be safe and Happy Camping!