defense shotgun?

DL Rupper

Re: defense shotgun?

Yeah, just stop out in the Western Desert grab your trusty side arm (shooter to some) and blaze away. :laugh: :approve: I won't be around as you might miss the sand dune.

If you really are from Ireland it wouldn't be too smart to import your shooter. May cause some over zealous official to wake up and ask for references. ;) Happy RVing too you. :laugh: ;)

cdbmacn

i meant like a place where we can pay for someone to show us how to fire some shooters etc.

DL Rupper

Don't really know of any particular Ranges. Which US Cities are you going to be in? Usually you can check the phone book Yellow Pages in whichever City you are in and find Sporting Goods stores that sell firearms. They in turn would know where there are firing ranges in the local area.

cdbmacn

cool! will do that thanks

we are travellin from coast to coast ^^

plan so far is, new york, washington d.c. for 4th of july, then down to atlanta, new orleans, up north to dallas then up through colorado and eventually las vegas, grand canyon, then san diego, san francisco. 4000 miles apparently

DL Rupper

Sounds like a real good trip. Enjoy, and don't worry about visiting with the RV'ers along the way. They will be friendly and helpful. :cool: I will caution you to be careful in New Orleans. The French Quarter can be a rather rough and tumble place at night. Especially Bourbon Street. Just be careful there.

utmtman

No cuz in the french quarter they speak southern lol During the day its a great place to visit with lots of gift shops and eatin places.

hertig

New York, Washington DC and California are very anti-gun, so you may have more trouble finding a place to go shooting there. Texas may be ok, Arizona is pretty good. Colorado was pretty good when I was there 30 years ago, but I don't know about today.

If you go through Tucson, AZ they have a very nice indoor range where you can rent guns (to shoot there).

C Nash

Just come on to Alabama and we'll just go out in the woods and pratice or right here in the back yard. We have shot so muce lead in the bank here the hill has started tilting. :laugh:

H2H1

well if you can't it to ALABAMA I am just across the state line in GEORGIA . Down in Columbus Georgia they have an indoor shooting range and provide the weapon of your choice and teach you how to shoot. the name of the place is 'SHOOTERS" LOOK IT UP ON THE INTERNET.

tallyo

Wow, by the sounds of things folks are going down the road armed to the teeth.
I had a wee bit of training courtesy of the USMC several years ago. The they sent me on a little trip to Southeast Asia, to someplace called Vietnam. So I have some confidence in handling many types of weapons.
Having said this I do not own a weapon, used to have a deer rifle( 30-30). But I do have a black sock in Karate.

Over my nearly 70 years of walking around this wonderful planet of ours I have never felt threatened except for the vacation in southeast Asia. In my 5 years of RV'ing I have never stopped where I felt it was unsafe. I have never witnessed any violence either.

My biggest fear carrying a weapon is that the person holding it gets all excited, the adrenaline gets flowing and they start shaking and all of a sudden they shoot someone. I suspect that the majority of folks carrying weapons have never shot at or near anyone in their lives. If you are going to point a weapon at someone you best be prepared to shoot to kill. No one is John Wayne and can shoot to wound someone in the shoulder; especially in the dark. I know of guys getting so excited shooting at their first deer that they unload the rifle without firing a shot...

Having said all this .......I do carry a flare gun. Here's my plan......if someone is prowling outside I will press the alarm button for my car which also flashes the lights. My coach has rear and side cameras so I can see fairly well from inside the coach. Then of course I have this big horn on the coach.....now if that doesn't get them moving I will at least have my neighbors up and about near me. Here's the big part.....The door won't open unless I unlock the deadbolt and that ain't happening as long as my bride is inside with me. I will start my engine and prepare to move the coach first....

If I do happen to open the door and there is one or more folks threatening me...the biggest guy is getting the flare gun right in his belt buckle, and I figure his buddies will think about their next move as I reload the flare gun.

Now all you gun totting folks don't beat me all up...this is just my story and it's just one of a million in the Naked City.

Tallyo

DL Rupper

It's your story and you're sticking with it. :laugh: We all have our druthers. ;)
SEMPER FI

tallyo

Thank you Texas.......
Haven't heard many of those words over the years......

Too late now but I sure wish my country had of loved us as much as we loved it.....

Maybe out paths will cross someday... I'll buy the first soft or hard drink.

C Nash

tallyo, there are still plenty of us out here that thank you for what you did. It really is a shame the way you guys were treated by some and still are. You did your job the best you were allowed to and gave it your all. Thanks for your service

JBTcajun

RE: defense shotgun?

When In New Orleans there are public shooting ranges.
Just outside New Orleans in the Honey Island Swamp there is a beautiful shooting range in the WMA. Show up there talk to the people telling them you've never handled a gun and someone will surly give you some trigger time.
Pistol, shotgun, rifle the range is set up for all three.
You can come here I have full hookups and I'll let you shoot multiple calibers. Load you're own ammo and catch a fish or two.

JBTcajun

RE: defense shotgun?

Not that I am any way acknowledging the right of individual states to issue CCP but do have these question.
Isn't an RV considered a residence?
Are we now required to have a ccp for firearms in our residence?
Is there a difference in residency classes for one that moves in matters where the residence is given special sanctuary requiring more to for the government to gain access?
I sure have lots to learn about rving.

DL Rupper

It would be a residence when parked in an RV Park. However, while moving from state-to-state I have never heard of any RV'ers being pulled over and having their RV's searched for weapons.

I have only had authorities look in my RV twice. Once was at the Canadian border and all they did was poke their head inside the RV. The other time was after 9/11 as I was attempting to cross Hoover Dam in NV. All 18 wheelers were denied access and detoured about 100 miles out of their way and ALL RVs were being closely searched (all compartments) for explosives. The Deputies that were doing the search noticed my USMC license plate and decals. Instead of searching my RV, they had a bull#$%& session with me as one of the Deputies was a former Marine. They just opened my door to the 5er, looked in and said he's a good guy.

I believe they have a new road that by-passes the Hoover Dam now or about ready to open a new by-pass. :laugh:

jumbuck

As another Aussie, :) living in a culture that has fists and footware, rather than firearms, as our main weapon of choice, (we don't really have a choice, all gun ownership is outlawed except for (very few) specific hunting needs and maybe in 1-2 other special situations-like for gangsters), it is hard for us to completely understand and appreciate the many issues that result in the US gun laws, policies and practices, and especially the attitudes of your people following a gun-fired (sorry about the pun) masacre. We hear only selected/limited/edited info & debates, as broadcast by the news media, and get a general impression that 'it aint the gun, its the bum with his hand on the trigger, that does it all'.

I could voice my opinion here but I am sure the resulting mahem would be as bad as me actually owning and using a handgun, humungously stupid, so I will keep 'mum'.

I am looking forward to our visit in May/June. :cool: :laugh: