Dewinterizing RV Water System

Judy

WE MIXED BAKING SODA AND FRESH WATER IN THE RV'S WATER
TANK(AFTER EMPTYING IT), THEN FILLED THE HOT WATER HEATER TANK(AGAIN AFTER EMPTYING IT) AND RAN THE WATER THROUGH THE RV'S WATER SYSTEM.
OUR QUESTION: SHOULD WE LEAVE THE WATER SYSTEM AS IS FOR A SHORT LENGTH
OF TIME BEFORE REFRESHING WITH PLAIN, FRESH WATER OR SHOULD THE SYSTEM
BE FLUSHED RIGHT AWAY?
THE IDEA BEHIND THIS IS TO CLEAN AND REFRESH THE SYSTEM AFTER SITTING
FOR THE WINTER.
TIA
PS: WE CARRY BOTTLED WATER TO DRINK.

Poppa

Judy,
I normally drain my tank completely and after a flush fill it. If you let it set without anything in it there will be some strange things growing in it just from the water vapor left in it. If your water is chlorinated that would be fine if you are using well water I would add about a coup of unscented bleach to a 100 gallons of water.

There may be some better answers forth coming. From the other guys

Kirk

I would agree with Poppa. You really don't need to keep the water tank full, but the plumbing should be if the water used is chlorinated. If it is well water you would probably be better off to drain the system and leave it dry since all water does have disolved oxygen and fungi and such will grow more in water than in just air. Of course, if the water is to sit in the tank for more than a month, the chlorination will cease to be there and it would be very wise to drain and replace the water with fresh, or if you can't do that, drain and leave it dry.

kb0ogt

RE: Dewinterizing RV Water System

hello, newbie here that bought a 1999 georgie boy cruise master 2 weeks ago. :) :) , my wife and i have been through under over and in the rv and have found no problems with it what so ever.

question. i have been reading on how one should add bleach and baking soda to to the fresh water when you dewinterize your rig. my question is how do you add it? all i have is a hose connector that you use when connected to city water. so what do people use a funnel or is there some magic port hidden someplace that i havent found yet. The dealer has the lines full of antifreeze so when i dewinterize for the first time i want to do it right and not have foamy foul water for our trip to vegas the first week of May. now if i can just get the temp in Denver to start to stay above freezing. :bleh:

Triple E

RE: Dewinterizing RV Water System

kb0ogt;

That is what I do. Use a funnel to pour the bleach in the hose, hook it up to the spigot and turn the water on. After the tanks our full I let them sit for an hour then flush, flush and flush till all of the smell is gone. Have a great and safe trip to Vegas.

Does it ever warm up in Denver?

H2H1

Re: Dewinterizing RV Water System

Hello kb0ogt and welcome, you should have a small door 6x6'' for filling the fresh water tank from the out side and follow triple E instructions. Make sure you flush it well before putting in your last fill of water. But if you are carrying your drinking water you will be fine as that is what we do. I have a 5 gallon container that I fill up with fresh water here at the house before we head out and put in about 1/2 tank of water in the tank for when the wife has to go to the bath room while on the road. Good luck on your camping adventure. :laugh: