Dial Up Internet

ashley3471

Does anyone know if parks have dial up internet or do you use a dial up account where you get a list of numbers all across the US.

What do you do if a park does not have wireless?

team3360

Dial Up Internet

Some parks have phone service for internet hookup at the campsites, you just use your internet provider with a number for that area.

Kirk

Dial Up Internet

If you are planing to use a telephone for internet connection you will also have to have an ISP to log into. We used phone connections for the first 4 1/2 years that we were on the road. We just used an ISP that had many local numbers around the country and when in an area that they had no local numbers we picked up our email with a Pocketmail.

Wireless is a very different thing and does not require each user to have their own ISP. Of course, you do need to have an email box somewhere to get mail, but there are plenty of free ones around for that. Today we use a Starband dish for internet.

USMC

Dial Up Internet

My wife bought a GSM card from Cingular (which also doubles as a WI-FI card) for our lap top and she is on the computer while I drive and she has full use of the internet e-mail and all, I think it is the bes thing going right now, that is what I'm using now to transmit this. later Jim

ARCHER

Dial Up Internet

When we get to our winter site, we normally get a local phone line installed and then use our ISP local number. If we are on the road and there is not a local number (without long distance charges) we use WIFI if it is free. If it costs us, we go to local library and use PCs they normally provide at no charge (you may be required to get a library card at a small charge). I do not like WIFI due to security reasons, so I don't use it for any financial stuff, only email and surfing. To each their own.....good luck. By the way, welcome to the forum.

hertig

Dial Up Internet

USMC, I thought WI-FI is short range, maybe 100 yards top? How are you driving while using it? Could you perhaps be talking about that cellular phone based highspeed technology which should be usable within supported areas? Verizon has it, as do other cellular companies.

Archer, certainly broadcasting WI-FI can have security concerns, especially if you don't set it up right. But what are the risks in using someone else's WI-FI (over using a guest ISP)?

USMC

Dial Up Internet

hertig, sorry I sometimes get my initials of all the hi-tech stuff mixed up. We do also have a Wi-Fi card from SysLink, but what we have now from Cingular is a GSM card (which also has the capability of being used as a Wi-Fi card) that enables us to receive our internet service as we drive down the road. It's nice because she can look up Yahoo directions or a good place to eat in town as I'm driving. Sorry for the confusion.

The cost at first is apx $200 and then $60 per month for unlimited internet.

ashley3471

Dial Up Internet

Ok, I'm a little confused here. Are you saying that Cingular has a card that will give you a signal no matter where you are? I would love a website so I can check it out. Sounds perfect for someone on the road.

SnowbirdInFlight

Kirk

Dial Up Internet

Jean,

That is now a digital data service from the cell phone companies. Both Cingular and Verison have it available nationally. It works very well as long as you have the data connection, which is slightly less available than is the phone service for voice. I have not used it, but have heard some great reports. The weakness comes when you spend a lot of time in very remote areas it can be difficult, but if you are mostly in populated areas I suspect that it is as cost effective as you can get. I didn't realize that the air cards now have wifi capability, but it sure wouldn't take a lot to make that possible so it kind of figures.