did you make a mistake selling the house to go full timming?

gamblingjackt

My wife saids the house is her security, and is not sure. I say you only live once and you should do what you want. We been retired 2 yrs. and spent 1yr on the road and love it, each time we come home we fix up the house to sell it and then chicken out.

DL Rupper

Re: did you make a mistake selling the house to go full timming?

Hey gamblingjackt, welcome to the forum. No regrets. Would do it all over in a minute. My wife is more of a hard over full-time RV'er than me.

Both of you had better agree on selling the house or YOU may be sorry. :eek: :laugh:

utmtman

No regrets either. And besides have a lot more money since we dont have to keep up gas, lights, water, taxes and so on for a place we would only see a few days a year.

LEN

We have too much stuff to sell out. We travel to other countries as well and need storage. So we are not planning on selling. Plus the increase in value of our properties is and has out run anything I could invest in. And if there is a need at some time to settle into a life style because of medical issues, no rebuy at an inflated price for sale time, just plant out buts and we are there.

LEN

Kirk

You will never experience the true freedom of the road as long as you own a chunk of real estate. When you have everything that you own with you, you never have to return to anywhere. You can do as you wish, when you wish. possessions own you just as surly as you own them.

We sold our house eight years ago, next April. It was one of the best decisions that we made.

msjackie

We kept ours with the option of selling it to the renters, as david is sick right now, we are Home. If we did sell everything it would be the same, in the RV or at the old home place. and yes we are talking about selling and waiting then the time comes to do so
Of course the best part is the buyer is our son wife

Admiral0647

RE: did you make a mistake selling the house to go full timming?

Not sure, but have seen in MH magazine that Federal Homeland Security Act prohibits banks fromsetting up accountswith individuals that do not have a permanent street address. :(

tallyo

We have considered full timing but since we already have a home in paradise, when we think about selling it then where would we want to be during the winter months? It always comes up we would probably be back in Florida so then why sell the homestead?

I don't know at what age we will stop RV'ing but there has to be some age. So if we did/do go full time I would definitely want to put a nest egg aside to buy the place we would live in after RV'ing. We met a couple a few years ago who spent it all on a Multi-thousand dollar high end RV and now are worried that when it comes time to sell it they may not get enough to buy the home they would think they want/need when they stop RV'ing.

DL Rupper

Can't quite see why anyone would want to buy a home when they were too old to RV. A small house has 3 bedrooms. I only need 1 bedroom. Houses have maintenance expenses, local/state taxes, big utility bills. What do you do with the big house when the spouse dies? We plan on renting an small upscale nice apt/condo. No taxes, no upkeep expenses, small utility bills and the ability to move if we don't like the neighbors. This will only happen when we are too feeble to RV. Just my opinion.

Teacher's Pet

Let's see... $2500 was the contracted price for a year's worth of propane for heat in the old place before the cost went up 75% ..... NO!

LEN

I agree it may be a pain but I look at it with an engineers logic. In our area sold a home 5 years ago, sold home for $200,000,banked $$$ got $55,000 in interest and paid IRS on that, net $240,000--OK cool. Now kept home and went on the road but rented it $1250 a month, $650 a month net after costs which is way conservative even if managed at 10%, 60 x $650= $39000. But here's the kicker the price went up to $300,000. This makes me $100,000 better off by keeping the house and having it managed. Now this does assume that there is enough $$$ to buy the RV and go on the road but it also could mean extra $$$$ on the road and still have the home at the end. This does bring a question to mind as this retort has the assumption that there is a home/roots/family, how many full timers are the last of their clan, no family, no real roots in one place and have friends all over rather than in one area?.
Just some rambling thoughts.

LEN

tallyo

Looks up the definition of a home...one's place of residence : DOMICILE b : HOUSE.. (No mention as to number of bedrooms, square footage or location there of.)

No return on the thousands in rental payments made for however long one rents. Not sure renting is a wise investment decision. I don't think utility companies rate differently on power used by renters vs homeowners.
Nah, I think ownership is a far better way to spend ones hard earned dollars.

But I do think it's easier to find ownership property on a golf course than rental properties. Trust me I will never be too old to golf. "Hit the ball drag Tallyo, hit the ball drag Tallyo"

DL Rupper

13 years of no worries over the Old Homestead make up for the lost $$$ in investment. By the way, you can't hardly give the old home away right now. Seems that the investment has gone South for the winter or winters. Just a different life style. Full timing isn't for everyone. Some of us love the challenge. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

tallyo

Dang,, I thught I was wrong once but I found out later I was mistaken

DL Rupper

What I really find FUNNY is all the advice that comes out about FULL-TIMING from people that have never full-timed. STRANGE. I guess casual RV'ing makes one an expert on Full-timing. Where does all the wisdom come from? Wishful thinking?

Just an opinion. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

rjf7g

For me, full timing is only a dream right now with a slim chance of ever coming to fruition...I will at least be in the position of traveling for longer than long weekends and one week here and there at some point, though.

tallyo

So I guess for those of us who have never climbed Mount Everest, we should never have an opinion about the subject?
I suspect that if everyone in these forums had the same opinion then .........no , yes, ok it would be rather mundane wouldn't it?

I don't think RV'ing for several years should be considered casual RV experience, nor should spending several months at a time in an RV as being casual either. While I do recognize that full timing in an RV is a life style.( wow what a statement), I have met some full timers who because they made a mistake financially are now pretty much stuck in their RV. I feel bad for them but they made the choice and apparently put all their eggs into one basket so to speak.

So please don't always be critical of those making opinions because they are all opinions and that's what makes these forums fun.

More wishful thinking I suspect..

DL Rupper

Hey tallyo, I must confess that I get somewhat aggressive when it comes to Full-timing. Most of the questions go something like do you full-timers regret selling your home and going on the road. Well, most RV'ers contemplating full-timing as a lifestyle, again most (not all) individuals thinking about making the plunge into full-timing absolutely need to sell their home in-order to have the funds to buy a rig and go on the road.

A stick house usually requires a substantial amount of money to adequately maintain and pay taxes on. If you aren't going to spend any time in the house you would probably need to rent it out. I for one can't imagine the worry involved in renting out a home. Based on the above, most potential RV'ers usually have to sell their home and use some of the funds to buy their rig.

I get a little irrational when most of the replies come back totally negative to selling a home to full-time. Most individuals that are thinking about full-timing are convinced it is the right thing to do, but are really looking for good arguments to convince a reluctant spouse. If the spouse is reluctant they are doomed from the start. Both parties need to agree that they want to full-time.

I agree with you that far too many individuals put all their eggs in one basket to go full-timing and then decide they made a mistake. However, most of us don't have the money to sell our house and put the money aside for the future when we decide we have had enough. So rather than try to talk these individuals out of full-timing I just explain that I have no regrets and both spouses need to be totally convinced that they want to full-time. Then I point out that if you full-time until you can't physically do it any more, you can then rent a small apt for your twilite years. Most times the apt won't cost anymore than the expense of trying to pay taxes and maintain a home while full-timing.

Yes full-timing is a lifestyle for those that are up to it. For those that aren't full timers and choose to comment with their opinion, it would be nice if they would just point out the advantages of not selling a house and not try to convince the potential full-timer not to full-time. I don't try to convince everyone to full-time unless they ask.

So tallyo, lets put our disagreement behind us and try to get along. Semper Fi.

tallyo

They best part of this whole forum is that we have the ability to agree to disagree.....

You must have noticed by now that i like to stir the pot a wee bit with various topics. Your comments for full timing or against having a 2nd home are similar to mine about weapons.
But if you were to start tomorrow on a thread against full timing or weapons I might just comment on all the advantages there of...

It's what keeps these forums alive and prosperous, just as long as folks don't get all caught up in themselves and get rude...

Semper Fi bro...

DL Rupper

Amen, bro ;) Stirring the pot must be a attitude the Corps instilled in us. :evil: :laugh: