Diesel Chassis vs. Diesel Chassis

Shorty

In my search for my 1st Diesel Pusher I have asked many questions and learned much. Just when I thought that I knew what I wanted...i was thrown a curve.

I'm looking at 1996-99 pushers. The 2 chassis available to me are Spartan and Freightliner
Spartan - Air Ride
Freightliner - Air Suspension
Is the a difference? A little? alot?
Do you have one? would you buy again?
Is there more maintenance with 1 vs. the other?

I was looking at a coach that was very similar to one that a relative had. same floor plan but one was a Spartan/Cummins and the other a FL/Cat

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

hertig

Re: Diesel Chassis vs. Diesel Chassis

I have a Cummins engine, and am very happy with it so far. I have heard rumblings that some Cummins have problems with the new ULSD fuel (fuel pump and injector gaskets leaking), and there is a recall on one batch of engines which seem to have 'bad wrist pins' which cause the engine to 'explode'.

Not sure how good Cummins customer service is. It is claimed that their fix for the 'exploding' engine is to install a warning light on your dash to alert you when it is 'about to explode' :)

Shorty

I had heard about the wrist pins and the light installation also.
Once I corner the coach I'm gonna get, it will have to prove itself to a number of mechanics that are friends of mine. They are just not in the RV business.
Thanks for your thoughts

G

I have a Cummins in my coach also and have never had prob one ,, but i have alot of mods to mine so i guess it might not be stock,, but anyway i also have a Freightliner chassis under mine and it drives it self... the air ride does all the figuring for me except when i get into cross winds ,, then i take over and jack some more air into the tags ,, and it does seem to make a diff ,,, but if the unit u are going to but has tags ,, be aware of this ,, if u have to much air in the tags,, then it will casue the drive axle to leave the ground ,, if u have a REALLY big bump to go over,,, I had this happen to me ,, and after i let some air outta the tags ,, the drive axle pulled me up the bump,,, chalk it up to rv lessons 101 :laugh:

Shorty

The coach I'll get prob won't have tags. would like to stay under 37 if I can. But I have heard of that.
Is a good lesson learned...kinda funny too :)
Thanks

Shorty

OMG...now there's another chassis coming that I'm looking into.
Magnum under a Harney Renegade
Just starting my research on this model. I am a newbie in the diesel area...but have never heard of the chassis or Mfg until today.
Any ideas??
I will now continue my search
Aarrr
Oh, for those of you with 'piratude' don't forget that Sept 19 is Talk Like A Pirate Day!! http://www.talklikeapirate.com/
I need to find a pirate emotion ;)

hertig

Just got a brochure today from Itasca, announcing their new 'Maxum' chassis. Seems to be Freightliner/Cummins/Allison based. Freightliner calls it 'XCL'. Itasca's claim is that the chassis is underneath the storage rather than above, so the through compartments are the same height (23 1/4") all the way through and lower center of gravity.

Shorty

Hmmm
Thanks, guess I'll have ti go lookAnyonw know anything about how well the coach is built?
Havn't looked at it yet...still online lookin'