Diesel fuel additives

mike sexton

I have experienced gasoline forming a gum residue when a gasoline motor is not run regularly. It occurs to me that diesel fuel may cause similar problems where the RV is parked for long periods of time. Any recommendations about whether a diesel fuel additive is helpful or necessary?

hertig

Diesel fuel additives

Diesel fuel is not as prone to degradation as is gasoline. However it does have its own problems: water condensate (store with the tank full), bacteria (say what? but they have an additive for that) and it 'gels' when it gets cold (don't know what you do for that). Not only that, but I hear that diesel engines get really annoyed when you let them sit too long, so plan to give it a good workout at least every other month.

mike sexton

Diesel fuel additives

John: Thanks for the response. How much diesel do you generally drain off after filling the tank to get rid of water condensate? I've done this several times and haven't yet seen anything that looks like water. Mike

Krazeehorse

Diesel fuel additives

Anything very new should have a water separator on it somewhere. It may be with the fuel filter. It might look like a small spin on oil filter in the engine compartment.

hertig

Diesel fuel additives

Yes, there is a water separator built into the fuel filter in the engine compartment. According to the instructions, you 'drain it until only fuel comes out'. Haven't figured out how to do that yet...