diesel fuel

detmer

Has anyone had any trouble with diesel fuel purchased at Murphy Oil outlets at Walmart stores? I have been using their fuel for the past 10 months started having trouble in my '01 Powerstroke. Today I paid a repair bill for $1470.00. My Ford dealer said it was due to bad fuel and suggested I find another source.

rxpx40

diesel fuel

Wow,
What specifically was the repair? What symptoms were you seeing with your Powerstroke? A $1400 repair bill isn't very difficult to achieve on today's cars, with dealers labor charges being over $100 per hour.
What parts were replaced/
Thanks
Chris

detmer

diesel fuel

Chris, The repairs included dropping the tank,replacing the tank sensor,fuel pump,replace fuel filter,clean system from tank to nozzels and labor. All done at my local Ford dealer. Thanks for your reply to my post. Gary

DL Rupper

RE: diesel fuel

Hey detmer, I have been using Murphy Oil diesel every chance I get. Not always available while RV'ing. So far I have not had any problems with it. I suspect the Ford dealer just wanted to point the finger in another direction. See Ford 6.0 Liter posting RVUSA General Forum.

Shadow

He has an 01 DL, should be a 7.3 power stroke. Them Dodges start to look pretty good now that I priced a new Ford. :eek:

C Nash

Shadow, I can't believe you have let DL rope you into a Dodge :eek: :laugh: :evil:

Shadow

Don't tell him Chelse, It's not like I would try to tow or haul anything with it. :laugh:

DL Rupper

Hey guys, a little slack please. I didn't even mention in my previous reply that I own a Dodge Diesel that can leap mountains in a single touch of the throttle. It did slip by me that he has one of the Ford better Power Strokes (7.3L). I concede he may have got a batch of bad diesel. I have had good luck with Murphy Oil diesel, so far :laugh:

C Nash

Re: diesel fuel

Hey DL, you are really slipping to post without mentioning that Dodge :eek: . All that travling must be affecting you :laugh: I figured by now you would be telling Shadow that he could mow his hay with a Dodge :laugh: :laugh: :evil:

DL Rupper

Hey C Nash, all that traveling mellowed me out. However, I' ve been stuck in Dayton, Oh for the last 6 weeks and I'm getting a little cranky :evil:

Grandview Trailer Sa

Hey guys, have you heard that the current diesel fuel is not useable in the upcoming 2007 models. I have seen a tag on one pump that states that you "cannot use this fuel in 2007 model diesel engines". My wifes cousin works for a local company that sells gas, diesel, LP and the like. He told me yesterday that they have put that tag on all of their pumps.
A GM dealer told me the other day that the price of the average 3/4 or 1 ton pickup will go up 3-4 thousand on Jan. 1st. because of the new emission regulations. This is all of them, not just GM. The average over the road tractor will go up around 15 thousand.

C Nash

Ken I have seen this on the local pumps where I fuel up. It's my understanding that if the old diesel fuel is used in the newer engines designed for the new fuel it will reall screw up all the emissions on them.

DL Rupper

The important question is what will the new diesel fuel do to the old diesel trucks over time? I intend to keep my "03" for many more years. Also will the price of the new fuel go up. Can't go much higher or I'll go bankrup just filling the tank. :dead: Need to keep this thread current with any new info. :)

Grandview Trailer Sa

I would like to know those answers myself. DL, you know the price of the newer fuel will go up, they look for any excuse. I will ask some people I know and get back to you.

DL Rupper

Hey GTS, thanks for confirming my worst fear. The price of Diesel Fuel will continue to go up. Maybe when the refineries only concentrate on making one forumla of diesel fuel, the price will eventually go down. I'm sure the refineries are at maxium capacity making 2 diferent formulas right now. I guess the new Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel fuel will raise *#@**(hecky poo) with the fuel pumps/transfer systems in the older diesels. I use Diesel Klean by Powerservice to add lubricity to my diesel fuel. I checked with Powerservice to make sure it didn't contain alcohol or acetone which is a no, no for diesel injectors and pumps. It seems to work and doesn't contain any bad additives. Hope it continues to work with the new diesel fuel that is coming this fall.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Did some searching on the Internet. Looks like the fuel we buy now cannot be used in 2007 model engines. The newer, low sulphur, fuel can be used in older engines. It will have additives that make it safe. It is apparently being sold right now in parts of the country. After 2010 the fuel we have now will be gone forever. It is being done to decrease the dirty exhaust that diesels are famous for.
However, the costs of the 2007 trucks are going through the roof. Like I said earlier, by the thousands.

Sure am glad GM did the 72 hour sale this past weekend. I went nuts and traded my '03 and '04 2500HD's for two '06 Duramax/Allison trucks. One, another 2500HD extended cab and the other a 3500 single rear wheel Crew Cab. LOWERED my payments on both. One deal by $210.00/month. Felt like an idiot for trading perfectly good vehicles for another, but I went from paying interest, to 0%. Could not afford to turn the deals down. Avoided the new 2007 prices also. Now I am set for, hopefully, many years.
The new Duramax has 360 hp and 650 lb. torque. These suckers will burn rubber right out of the factory. The new 6 sp. Allison makes the engine run 1500 rpm@ 60mph. The 3500 which turned 500 miles today is averaging 16 mpg around town. Have not had it over 70 yet. When I get a road trip in, I will let you know. I have had Hypertech in my trucks since 1988, I doubt I will do these trucks. We'll see.

DL Rupper

GTS, thanks for the update on the new diesel fuel. Hope your new trucks perform well and last a long time. Sounds like we all need to get maximum mileage out of the older diesels due to the projected increase in cost of 2007 models. Wish I could get a new one (2006) for the long haul. Besides monetary constraints, I'm still not sold on Dodge's 4spd auto transmission. I quess I'll just have to keep my 2003 3/4 ton. It keeps on running like a energizer battery. Keep us posted on anything new.

Shadow

Hear Ya DL, Been kicking around getting a new truck for a few months now. Never once took the new Diesel in to account. Think I may be in a new Dodge sooner than later. Don't let the auto trans. worry you, I know a lot of people running them without any problems. My concern with the new diesel is, if I have a 2007 and I go to Mexico or Canada am I suppose to count on them to have the diesel I need? Have not seen a pump with the new diesel yet, and the new trucks come out when? Like DL said the Low sulphur will have little if any lubrication. And their going to add an additive to make it safe to run in my 2001.
Why make a new diesel? Think I'll go buy a load of additives for my truck before they jack the price up on them also. :dead:

DL Rupper

Hey SHADOW, I'm not too worried about the newer beefed up 4 spd auto trans in the Dodge diesel. It seems like it is doing the job ok. Not like the older pre 2003 version. I just think they could do better. A 5/6 spd would be nice in the modern day and age. It looks like by the time they offer a good 5/6 spd auto, I will be priced out of getting one due to the projected increase in the price of the 2007 + diesel engines. Oh well, as I said my 2003 just keeps running. If Wal-Mart restocks its shelves with Diesel Kleen additive I'll be happy. They recalled it recently due to not complying with a statement on the bottle that it complied with the new 2007 EPA diesel emissions controls. According to the Diesel Kleen manufacturer (PowerService) they are in the process of adding the required statement to the Diesel Kleen containers and are in full compliance with the EPA rules. They project a July 10th date to begin to show up on the shelves at Wal-Mart. Hope it doesn't have a price increase when it shows up :dead:

rlmurraysr59

Some very interesting post. I didn't hear any mention of bio-diesel. I have read reports that some of the increase in cost of diesel is due to the future competition from companies making bio-diesel and e-85 gasoline. What is surprising is that we have known for years that something was going to have to be done to wean us off fossil fuels. No one is saying it but after all these years and the increased use of fuel by every industrialized country in the world I would imagine that some of the oil wells are beginning to sound like a milkshake being sucked through a straw by someone who wants to get the last drop. It can't last forever and, unlike us, the people who own the wells, refineries, and pumps are not going to go bankrupt if there is anything they can do about it. Like raising prices now.