diesel fuel

rlmurraysr59

Re: diesel fuel

Oh, I forgot something. Have you ever seen the inside workings of a fuel pump at a station? They have filters in them to pull out sediment that is very small. Looks like a big oil filter that screws onto the pump. If they get clogged the pump shuts off until the filter is changed. Also they are required by law, don't know if it is state or federal, to test the tanks for moisture and sediment. Most states have a seal that is put on the pump once a year verifying that the pump has passed certification. And the new inground tanks are fiberglass. In other words, I agree the Ford dealer was just pointing a finger.

DL Rupper

RE: diesel fuel

Hecky darn, lets open off shore drilling before Cuba, Mexico, Russia etc beat us to OUR off shore oil. Oh and while we are at it, lets open up Anwar. Gee, what a novel idea. Maybe we should allow the Big Oil companies to build more refineries while we are at it. Beats blocking every approach we (USA) take to secure more oil. China and India aren't going to sit on their duffs while the rest of the World rolls by. I know, we are guilty of exploiting all of the World resouces so we have to punish ourselves. Why not explore/drill for more oil and develope bio-diesel and ethonol and other new sources of energy at the same time? Could guilt be stopping us? Ask China/India/Iran/Russia/etc how guilty they feel as they bury us. Just give me my diesel fuel. I don't feel guilty. :bleh:

Grandview Trailer Sa

Willie Nelson uses Bio Diesel all the time. He and a truck stop owner somewhere in Texas have gotted together to produce Bio Diesel. It's coming every where one day.

Shadow

There is a Bio Diesel plant coming up right down the road in El Campo Tx. Not sure if Willie is affiliated with this one or not. I wonder if you can even run it in the new motors? Something else to ponder I guess.
Ron, pumps and filters fail time to time even with all the safeguards. And believe it or not, even with all these safeguards somebody will get water in their gas or diesel. But that's only if you drive a Chevy or Dodge. With Fords it's always a mechanical failure with a little dealer conspiracy thrown in.

DL Rupper

Just as long as the bio-diesel smells good and my Dodge CTD still passes all the Fords and Chevs I'll use it. Seriously have all the diesel pickup manufactures signed off on bio-diesel as far as warranties go? :laugh:

wgrommet

Grandview Trailer Sa - 7/9/2006 8:29 PM

Willie Nelson uses Bio Diesel all the time. He and a truck stop owner somewhere in Texas have gotted together to produce Bio Diesel. It's coming every where one day.
Thought I'd jump in the thread here for a little trivia.

BIO-DIESEL was first developed by George Washington Carver in calloboration with Henry Ford.

REALLY SUPRISED ME when I found that out.

Now how many folks knew that bio diesel had been around that long?

hertig

Keep in mind that there are several 'grades' of bio-diesel. There is 'Greesel' which is just vegitable oil. This seems to require changes to the vehicle, and is not likely to be supported by warrantees. True bio-diesel is processed vegitable oil, and allegedly does not require any changes to the vehicle. Generally, they mix bio and 'real' deisel in various amounts. I think there is B10 (10 % bio), B30 (30% bio), B80 (80% bio) and B100 (100% bio). I seem to recall seeing one warranty which supported up to B30.

Shadow

Looked at a few new trucks this weekend and not one salesman knew anything about the new diesel. Didn't even know they were even changing diesels. Think I'd be hyping the heck out of it to empty my lot of the 2006 models. Oh, and Ford had some 2007 trucks out all ready and they still had the 6.0 in them. Guess their getting a late start on the new motor. Think I'll do like DL and hang on to my 2001 for awhile. :approve:

Ternkiem

Hello all...New member here!

DL...I just wanted to jump in here for a moment and let you know that I also drive an '03 Dodge and I've been adding 1oz. of 2-stroke to every tankfull since the truck was 2 months old (the 1st change to lower sulfur fuel). Man it works great...I've towed all types and sizes of 5'ers and TT's with this when I was delivering them. I have never had a failure of any part either. I'm still on my original fuel pump (which back then would usually go after about 75k or so. Of course I change the oil evry 2500 miles too. But after talking to Cummins about my 2-stroke trick and oil changing habits, they told me I could expect somewhere's around 800k before I should need a rebuild. The lubricity I get from the oil is keeping the top end lubed far better than anything else out there.
Now as for my wifey's '04 LLY Duramax....well GM informs me that this treatment wouldn't do me any good as the motor is designed for the low-sulfur fuels. I think I'm going to try it anyway though. If for no other reason than to try for better mileage. After the great mileage I get in my Dodge (14 while towing), I just can't get used to the 16 (Empty) with her dually crew-cab.

Anyway, just my $.02 (inflation adjusted to $.0002).

Terry

raskal

I'm new here and don't even have the 5th wheel yet but have purchased a 2007 GM 3500 4x4 crew dually while there was 0% finance and drove the beast empty from Virginia to SD after the break in.

Diesel prices seemed cheaper as I went West but MPG dropped as well. (One reason ... wife needs reminding every now and then to keep speed & RPMs down on those flats).

Surprised that onboard calculator indicated 18+ MPG through the mountains of VA and WVA into KY ... hmmm. Overall for the trip was only 16 however.

DL Rupper

Hey ternkiem, welcome to the forum. Thanks for the info. Do you think the 1 oz of 2 stroke works better than the Diesel Kleen sold at Wal-Mart a truck stops? The Diesel Kleen is also suppose to boost the cetane by 6 points as well . Would both be too much to use at same time?

raskal, try to keep wife at about 65 mph and you will probably get a little better milage. :laugh:

Ternkiem

DL...I have tried the Diesel Kleen too. It does have cleaners and a Cetane booster to it so it is possible it may have some advantages over the 2-Stroke. In fact...I used the D.K. when I USED to put heating oil in it....a looong time ago. The heating oil needed it but with today's road diesel I don't believe it is necessary. I use the 2-stroke mainly to get some of the lubricity back for the top end of the motor, man I hate these low-sulfur fuels!