Diesel Price

DL Rupper

If only diesel would come down in price now. Regular gas is selling for $2.16/gallon this weekend in Dayton, OH. Diesel ranges from a low of $2.83 (Wal-Mart) to $3.09/gallon. Too bad we can't pull big 5'ers/TT's with a gas engine. I guess the gas Motorhome owners are doing ok right now. Maybe the new ultra low sulfer/bio-diesel fuel will bring the price of diesel down. :laugh: Or maybe up. :dead:

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: Diesel Price

Regular gas here in Central Va is $2.36 and Diesel is $2.79. Does not make sense to me. When they first started making gas, the by-product that is now known as diesel was thrown away. They did not know what to do with it because the engine had not been developed. It costs far less than 1/2 to refine diesel. Everyone says "supply and demand". I know that has some factor but I say "Bull" for the most part. The rich keep getting richer and you know about the rest of us.

Kirk

I'm wondering where you came by the belief that the price to make diesel was " far less than 1/2 to refine ?" I know a retired chemist from the oil industry who tell a very different story.

Grandview Trailer Sa

That's what I have always been told. As I try to understand it, both diesel and gas start the same and they have to refine gas much more than diesel. If I am wrong, sorry.

onthecoach

Anyone aware of major elections cominmg up soon?? You don't think the gas prices are coming down ($2.19 for reg in Ohio!) to help people forget how angry they are, do you?? NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...politicians would NEVER do anything like that, would they???

Anyone remember in the 70's when gas was pushing $.75/gal and diesel was about $.33/gal??? If they could do it then, why can't they do it now?? Why???? 'Cause the oil companies don't want us to be fuel efficient, do they? Don't want us to buy less gas/diesel do they? The car makers do not want us to be more fuel efficient...we would not have to buy cars so often, would we?? These thieves...all of them...have to line their pockets at the cost of their ees and their ee's pensions....AND those of us on the road!!!

I hope that this mid-term election throws out everyone in Congress that has the smallest ties to the oil/car related industries!!!

When you think of the road taxes that those of us on the road pay when we purchase gas and diesel....I think we MORE THAN PAY OUR SHARE!!!

DL Rupper

RE: Diesel Price

If it was Bush's fault it went up, whose fault is it now that it is coming down. Since the majority stock owners of the Major Oil companies are middle class Americans. maybe it is their fault. Or it just might be the speculators in the Futures Market since they bid up or bid down the price of a barrel of oil. Lets not throw out the baby with the bath water. It does not benefit ANY POLITICIAN to have the price of oil/gas go up. Elections are held every 2 years. What do they gain from making the voters irate? Just a thought. :evil: :laugh:

Lets not forget the OIL CARTELS control the amount per month of oil pumped out of the ground. We have no vote on their actions. It is in their best interest to keep the price up. We need to drill for oil in the Gulf and Anwar for short term independece from foreign oil and develop other forms of energy for long term independence. Just another thought. :eek:

DL Rupper

I have read/heard that reg gas might hit an average of $2.00/gallon nation wide. It seems that all of the oil strorge facillities World wide are full. Diesel is another matter. There are 2 different types of diesel in the pipeline right now. Old low sulfer diesel and the new EPA mandated ultra low sulfer diesel that the 2007 diesel pickups are designed to run on. Hopefully after it gets sorted out, diesel will come down also. :laugh:

Kirk

GTS,

I was just wondering as my friend who is retired as a chemist for a refinery says that the cost to make gasoline is about 10% to 20% higher per gallon than to make diesel. According to him each barrel of oil has a fixed amount of each of the different products in it and while it is possible to convert diesel to gasoline, it is very expensive and not practical. According to him, diesel sales has not fallen with price increases and that has pushed the price up as far more of that is presently being imported from refineries out of the USA. Many of the exporting countries are now requiring that the products be refined "in country" to keep the jobs there, rather than here. Also, due to the EPA it has become very difficult and expensive to open a refinery here, so most are now "off-shore." By the way, while I do think he knows of what he speaks, I don't so take it all with some degree of salt.

Lynn

There is no doubt in my mind that the politictions in power would effect the price of fuels and many other things at election times if they could, the fact is that there isn't a lot that either party can do about that today. If you wish not to believe that, that's fine as this really isn't a place to argue politics anyway. Just be happy that it has come down! And I also might point out that prices are falling around the world, not just in the USA. I doubt that the present administration does a lot to help prices in other countryes?

By the way, fuel prices here in Canada are falling too, but diesel has not come down hardly at all. Last month gas was at $1.146 to $1.184/liter (Canadian) and diesel was about $1.188. Today gasoline here is $0.824 & diesel is still at $0.996. That would mean that in US prices it would be gasoline at $2.77/gallon, US and diesel is $3.33/gallon, US.

onthecoach

To Kirk...and all,

Having lived my entire life 55+ years (until last year) in Washington, DC....I KNOW how politicians work! It's ugly and don't you think it isn't! Nothing is sacred...NOTHING! They have tons of high friends in high places and they wheel and deal to get their way...which translates to money in their pockets!

Think about how well paid (obscenely paid) corp executives are these days....who do you think contributes to these political campaigns? And when everyone in Washington is so busy scratching each others backs...WE ARE THE ONES WHO SUFFER!

Look around...look at what used to be the Middle Class here in America...it is disappearing..FAST! It is no longer so easy to climb the ladder and grab a piece of the American Dream...it simply costs too much and most people just can't afford it anymore. Most families have to have 2 incomes...sometimes 3...just to keep food on the table and a roof over their heads. Utilities, Ins, medical costs, fuel, food, clothing...EVERYTHING is out of sight! How are these young families supposed to save for college and their own retirement?

Costs are spiralling up and the Middle Class is falling down into the whirlpool of the abyss.....sad...sad state of affairs for the richest, proudest, strongest country in the world!

s.harrington

I heard today that oil prices may go as low as $55 per barrel. That would put it at the $1.95 to $2.15 per gal. level here in Wa.(we have a 31 cent a gallon state tax to go along with that 18 cent a gallon federal tax)

DL Rupper

Update: Diesel is still $2.83 in Dayton, Oh, but reg gas is now $2.01/gallon. If this keeps up I'll have to sell the Dodge CTD and buy what??????? :dead:

onthecoach

Regular gas is now down to $1.96 near Cincinnati :laugh: -- but diesel is still at $2.83!! :(

We are on our way to Denver on Sept 30th and prices out there are WAY UP and have no sign of coming down: Reg: $3.15 and Diesel: $3.50!!!! :angry:

DL Rupper

Hey Lynn, I hope you have good fuel filters in your Motorhome and take extra filters with you when you head for Denver. It is my understanding that the new ultra low sulfer diesel fuel cleans out the old transfer tanks (18 Wheel tankers), storage tanks and your onboard diesel tanks. According to Carsen Dodge Chysler in Carson City, NV, they are starting to see clogged filters and fuel tanks in their Dodge CTD's that have a brown jello like substance in them, caused by the cleaning action of the new diesel fuel. Doesn't sound very good.

California reqires the new fuel this year, whereas the rest of the U.S. has until 2010 to switch over to the new EPA mandated ultra low sulfer fuel. However, the new 2007 diesel engines require the new fuel so I suspect the rest of the U.S. will be switched over shortly.

I guess this is one time the diesel owners can say the gas engine beats the diesel. What with the price of diesel fuel and the possibilty of clogged fuel filters/systems.

Hopefully the 18 wheelers will use the diesel fuel fast enough to clean out the tanks fast.

skeeta147

Hi all :)
I am paying $1.39 a litre for Diesel here in Western Australia A quick conversion to US dollars = about $4.20 per gallon. Diesel is always abot 10 cents a litre dearer than petrol. It is also true that diesel costs less to refine than petrol. We are being bloody ripped off by the money grubbing oil companies.

Cheers
Skeeta