Diesel Price

DL Rupper

RE: Diesel Price

Diesel Update: Diesel is $2.46/gal and Reg gas is $1.92/gal in Dayton, OH. Gee, I haven'yt heard any praise for good old George Bush for the comparitive low price of fuel. Maybe he doesn't controll the price of fuel. What a novel thought. In any case it is much cheaper to RV now. Hope it stays down :evil:

DL Rupper

Re: Diesel Price

Hip, hip hooray George Bush. Reg gas is $1.82 in Dayton, OH today. It must be the OIL INDUSTRY trembling in fear of the New Congress and Nancy. It can't have anything to do with the law of supply and demand and the mild winter in the East.. Whatever the reason it makes it easier to fill-up for a long RV trip. See, I know to keep the trivia chit chat centerted around RV'ing. :approve: :laugh: :clown: :bleh:

C Nash

2.31.9 for diesel at BP Pelham Al. when I filled this morning and gas was 1.99.9 in Montevallo Al for the car this pm and I remember I said "I would walk before I would pay a buck for a gallon" :eek:

Shadow

Diesel stuck at 2.399 here. Gas hit a low of 1.999, but has slowly gone up to 2.069. Think Pelosi and company will have more of an effect on prices. We went east on I10 to Lake Charles over the weekend. Seen at least 20 Montana 5th wheels on the way over. Feel good about our choice. :)

kjborawski

The old way of refining fuels was basically by heating the crude oil and as the vapor rose the various grades of fuels was taken off. Doubt if it's much different now a days.
Course, us older guys should remember that deisel fuel didn't start going up until the auto manufactures started building these deseil cars and pickups! We all know anything that has any demand will bring a higher price.
On my recent drip from Russelville, Ark back to NC most of the desiel was $2.54!

Grandview Trailer Sa

All around Bedford, diesel price is down. $2.25 nearby, but stuck at $2.39 here. Hopefully will go down soon.

Local news said today that crude was dropping like a rock, but not at the pump......Sounds like they just keep getting richer and we keep paying for it.

DL Rupper

Diesel is stuck around $2.45 in Dayton, but reg gas at Wal-Mart was $1.79/gal today. I think the problem with diesel is a lack of refining capacity. Probably the popularity of the diesel pickups and Motorhomes helped create the problem, but there are sure alot of 18 Wheelers out there on the roads.

British Babe

Hi Everyone

I have found it really interesting to read all your postings about your RV's & Camping as it's so different to what we do in the UK.

I really wish we had your prices for Gas & Diesel, I have a 3.1 Litre Automatic Diesel Izuzu Bighorn as a tow car & pull a 20 foot caravan with it.
Our equivelent price per gallon of Diesel is currently about $8.00!! so you can see why we don't have 5th wheelers or similar as we can't afford to run them and they are usually far to big for our roads & campsites.
We would have them if we could.
Anyway I hope I've made you all feel better about your fuel prices.

Look forward to reading more of your posts.
PS its currently 23 degrees here with heavy rain & storm force winds causing stuctural damage so no caravanning for the near future.

British Babe x

DL Rupper

Hey British Babe, welcome to the forum. Sorry for your high price of fuel. Makes it hard to travel very far, but as long as you stay on yhe Isle you can't travel very far. We usally take long trips of 4/5K miles. Not sure of the Kilometer conversion. Anyway we wouldn't go very far if we had to pay your prices. How much of your cost of diesel is taxes. If the other than right party has their way here, we will be taxed on fuel at a much higher rate. Whew, had to say that without really getting political. :laugh:

Grandview Trailer Sa

Thanks for the "pick me up" Babe, and welcome to the forum. Hope to hear from you more.
Your prices seem ridiculous, but a man who is here from England says our gas is the worse quality on Earth. He said your gas just smells different and engines run much better in Europe.

DL, I read the new Trailer Life magazine tonight. It has a very good article about the new Diesel fuel, answers questions, and also talks about engines in GM, Dodge and Ford. Good reading.

DL Rupper

GTS, I wish you hadn't told me about the TrailerLife article. This is the first month since 1995 that I haven't had a current issue. I decided I could get by with just my Highways magazine. Now I'll have to go to the local library to see if they have it. It would kill me to pay the full monthly price after letting my subscription expire. :( :angry: :dead:

Shadow

Has anybody noticed a drop in their fuel mileage with the new diesel?
Lost almost 2 miles to the gallon on our last trip with our trailer. A couple of friends have told me the same thing. Anybody else?

Grandview Trailer Sa

Have not towed my trailer since Thanksgiving, but highway has dropped about 2-3 mpg. Was wondering if it was the cold, or new fuel. Cold does effect mileage also.

I am going to Indiana next week to get trailers, can compair towing then.

DL Rupper

The fuel they use in the winter has alot of kerosene in it to keep it from gelling. My milage drops in the winter when I'm in the cold belt and purgchase diesel fuel. The new ultra low sulfur diesel is supposed to lower your milage fractionally. I think I read less than 1mpg. It loses heat/flame in the ignition or something like that when you remove the sulfur. Well that sounds good anyway :approve: :bleh: not sure of the validity. :clown:

Shadow

Probably to many variables to put a finger on it now. The only reason I checked it this trip was because of some of the comments I had been hearing. Have a trip planned to Louisiana next week, will keep tabs on it again.