Digital TV blues

krautdog

After almost 2 years of digital TV, I must say I’m disappointed. When the signal does come in, it’s amazingly clear but most of the time the picture freezes up, cuts out or just plain doesn’t work at all. Can anyone recommend a good antenna? I currently have the standard Winegard RV antenna that cranks out of my roof, I see they make an attachment called the wingman but reviews I’ve read on it have been mixed. We camp near a lot of trees so that is probably part of the problem but with our old analog TV, the reception was a lot better. What do the experts out there think?

C Nash

Re: Digital TV blues

I installed the wingman and it did seem to help. Still like the digital picture, when it comes in. I have also had a problem getting sound. Have to go to surround sound with both volumn full blast and still can barely hear. Now before all you regulars answer "NO I am not deaf :laugh: "

Grandview Trailer Sa

WHAT DID YOU SAY????

Yes, Digital has to have a good, clear signal before it comes in or does not freeze up. The Wingman does help. I was at a campground once and a customer of mine was picking up ONE channel. After we installed the wingman, he got FOUR. Performance all depends on location and you must re-scan your TV everytime you move.

try2findus

Ok, we're sold. We need one of those also. Our TV reception leaves a lot to be desired with just the batwing...

Nash, our volume has to be up at the highest level and sometimes we still cannot hear the set very well. Like you mentioned, the digital picture is amazing but with just the batwing, we don't pick up many channels. We always rescan every time we change campgrounds and sometimes after adjusting the antenna. Still we watch our favorite shows freeze up or go out altogether, then FAILED TO RECEIVE SIGNAL...... :angry:

ErnieEkberg

I added a small amplifier and some extra speakers to my digital tv. I thought I was going deaf before. What ya say???

powderman

Are you sure that the amplifier is working properly?? I actually have better reception in my camper than I do from my home antenna which is 20-30 feet higher. ;)

Kirk

Digital TV signals are all UHF and the higher frequency signals have a significantly shorter range than do the VHF signals of the previous analog TV. The problem is that once again our government has found a way to sell more frequency bands to get more money to through away by forcing everyone to the digital image. After all, who cares about the rural parts of the country as there just are not enough voters out there to effect the next election!

The Wingman helps a little, but since the signal is weak there isn't much that can be done if you are very far from the transmitter tower, down below some high hills or under heavy trees. Engineering people knew that going in, but they sold the better quality picture to get us to go along. The reason that you have to rescan every time you stop is that the old analog channels the numbers were the same everywhere. With the digital stuff, the number has no connection to the signal frequency.

Triple E

Kirk - 6/30/2010 6:43 PM Digital TV signals are all UHF and the higher frequency signals have a significantly shorter range than do the VHF signals of the previous analog TV. The problem is that once again our government has found a way to sell more frequency bands to get more money to through away by forcing everyone to the digital image. After all, who cares about the rural parts of the country as there just are not enough voters out there to effect the next election!

Very well stated Kirk. :approve:

try2findus

Well, after this post we contacted Ken at Grandview Trailer Sales and purchased a Wingman and 4 vent covers. We have not had the opportunity to install either as of yet, but I must say that we received the BEST service EVER on our order. I could not believe UPS was knocking on our door a couple of days later. KEN ROCKS :) :) :) :)

We will post back on our opinion of the Wingman when we are able to install it and try it out. Even 1 additional channel would be helpful at some campgrounds...

try2findus

Hello everyone! We finally had a dry day that allowed us the opportunity to install our new Wingman. The hardest part was climbing the ladder :) .

We removed the 4 little rubber plugs with our hands (no pliers required) and lined up the 4 holes, inserted the pins and Voila, it was done. Easiest thing we have ever installed on the RV.

Thank you Ken!!

Next camping trip we'll let you all know if we receive more channels than normal. That shouldn't be hard to tell as we usually ended up with only 2 or 3 pre-Wingman.

H2H1

Well J I bought one at the last M&G and installed it when we got home. It was the easiest thing I have ever done.
Yes Ken does rocks, super great guy. I have never been disapointed when I have order anything from him.

H2H1

SORRY KEN, I don't want you to get a bigger head :laugh: or put a halo over it. :laugh: . But if your head gets any bigger you will have to borrow Texas Clodhopper hat :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: JK HIM AND HE KNOWS IT :cool:

mickey64

RE: Digital TV blues

We bought a HD TV and we do not need that converter box,and then bought the Jack tv for free ant.You take out the two pins that hold your bat wing on and install the new one it took 5 min.