DISH or Direct TV?

KSrvER.5

Re: DISH or Direct TV?

can you buy a system like off ebay and only run service during the season? Or can you get a system from Dtv and not be in a contract?

utmtman

You can buy the satellite dish, you can buy the box, but you still must have a contract with someone for service unfortunately.

SnowbirdInFlight

utmtman - 2/26/2008 9:48 PM I had dish network up to two years ago when they told me they do not I repeat they said they DO NOT support mobile rvers. I changed to direct tv and found I was getting more channels for a lower price. I had dish for 8 years previous to that. I also have the east west programming with directtv that gives me the major stations from New York and Los Angeles.

We had our DISH installed AT the RV park in 2005. We were at the FamCamp at Hurlburt Field and used Joel Douglas at Satellite Beach Inc.,415a Mary Esther Blvd., Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548, (866) 734-3474. He had no problem getting us set up with the DISH and receivers. We did have to prove we were in a mobile trailer in order to sign up for the distance local networks (no longer use) but other than that it wasn't any different than setting up at home. We were just there again this year and other RV's were also having the DISH set up with Joel on our recommendation. Oh, and by the way, when I called the main DISH number prior to this they also told me that they DID NOT support a mobile trailer. But, if you contact a local dealer you will get a different response. To get my local channels, I just call and give them my new physical address and in 15 minutes I have the local channels on tv where ever we are located. Of course the billing address remains the same. We've taken our dish with us for the past three years with no trouble.

utmtman

Snowbird can you set up anywhere and get your service? I know others thay have had it set up in an rv park but that was as a permanent service at that location.

JanetG

DirectTV--watch out for the billing. We had to fight for the $50. credit for us and for our friend who recommended the service. We had to fight to get the promised portable dvd player. Instead of 6 weeks, it took 5 months after many hot phone calls. Just yesterday our remote quit working, so called them for a new one. They wanted to charge us $15. We said no, we'll take our business elsewhere. The manager agreed to credit our monthly bill $5. for 3 mos. Heaven forbid they give us $15. in one fell swoop. Otherwise we have had no problems with reception except in heavy downpours when you need to know if the tornado is knocking on your door or not...duh. We are seriously considering going to antenna after this contract expires. Hate paying to watch commercials too!

Bladerunner

For those that are interested. I saw a guy that had his dish set up on his ladder with compression fittings. This allowed him to move the dish over the top of the RV when in use and stow it down behind the RV when moving. He used steel pipe for the antenna for better stability. He had small "angle iron", probably about 2" on each side on the ladder, held in place with muffler clamps. The compression fittings are locaetd in the plumbing section with the PVC pipe. I found all of the parts at Home Depot / Lowes. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to. It looks a lot easier than setting it up on the ground.

TexasClodhopper

Will you adjust the dish or the RV? ;) And who climbs the ladder to adjust it? ;)

I always send RVrs to this site where I got the plans to build mine. I sits in a bay when I travel.

Sat Dish Mount