Disney Ft. Wilderness ?'s or Other Suggestions

Ginger

Our granddaughter is playing in a softball tournament there in August and they say the ballpark is on Disney property. I called Disney World and they tell me the daily rate at Ft. Wilderness is $65 per day PLUS a $5 per day pet charge, for a total of $71 per day plus tax. We will be there seven days. They say that we can take the shuttle to the ballpark from Ft. Wilderness. My question is, in your opinion, would this be worth the price, which will be well over $500 or can you suggest another park close by? We have a 38' motorhome with a toad, so we can drive to the park. What would you suggest?

David

There is a nice KOA close to Disney for < half the price, but Fort Wilderness is incomparable. If you aren't combining the campground with Disney attractions the best value may be the KOA.

I hope yoou have a nice stay.

Ginger

Thanks, David for the info. We will check the KOA to see if we can get reservations.

Herkdrvr

Re: Disney Ft. Wilderness ?'s or Other Suggestions

Hey fellas,
I am new to the forum. I have a familiy of four. We travel with a 37 foot fifth wheel pulled by a Ford F250. Is Ft Wilderness worth a one time good deal for the family? Is it "Big Rig" friendly? What is a reasonable budget for a family of four? We are traveling with good friends in April '09. Thanks for any info you might provide.

DL Rupper

Sorry, but right now the KOA in Kissimmee is going for $65/night. This was the KOA member rate. I just spent over $300 there for 5 nights. They charge extra for cable. $2/night and $4/night for wifi. This is their busy season. :eek: By the way, this rate was for the cheap back-in, in the back of the KOA. The big premium pull through's go for more.

DL Rupper

There is a great public RV park North of Disney World (12 miles) that costs $15/night for water/electric and slightly more for full hook-ups. We went there after leaving the Kissimmee KOA for 3 days. The KOA was close to the Motel my kid/grand kids were staying in during their trip to Disney World. Convenient.

The public RV Park is called Bill Fredricks Park at Turkey Lake. Check it out under Orlando, FL on line at www.RVparkreviews.com. Great Public Park. Reservations are required at KOA, Bill Fredricks or Ft Disney.

dggreer

RE: Disney Ft. Wilderness ?'s or Other Suggestions

If you go to Disney web site and look at their package deals the cost comes down considerable for the camping and attractions. Some package deals are quite attractive for staying at the fort and all transportation is free. lots to do at the campground.

Herkdrvr

Thanks a million for the heads up. We are an Air Force family. Disney has some terrific military benefits right now. Thanks to Walt Disney. :) I stayed at Ft Wilderness as a young kid. We had a blast. I am not against saving money, but I am not against spending a bit more if my buckaroos have a terrific time. I have just ordered a 37 ft Everest bunkhoue. We tow with a Ford F250 PS. Am I ok assuming most parks in the area will be friendly to bigger rigs?

DL Rupper

You won't have anytrouble finding a site for your rig. However; in my opinion a 37 foot Everest is flat too heavy for a 3/4 ton Power Stroke. :(

PattieAM

There are scads of campgrounds in Kissimee/Clermont, FL, and being August, you can get good rates. Ft. Wilderness is considered the best for anything Disney. Traffic in the area can be rather congested at all hours! You might find FW to be your 'less stressful' accommodations even though it is rather expensive. I understand the shuttle is worth it!!!!

Herkdrvr

PattieAM
Thanks for the tips. I know exactly what you mean when you say "less stressful". It is all relative...Disney has some fantastic Military packages. Ft Wilderness might be worth a bit more for my 4 yo. and 3 yo. They will have a ball. I just hope my little 3/4 ton Ford can make it all the way down to FL from Little Rock, AR. :laugh:

Shorty

One thing that no one has brought up. Ft Wilderness is tight. By that I mean watch your corners, backing into many spots require your neibors being home so they can move a vehicle out of the way. Not ALL Ft Wilderness sites are like this, you may get lucky. We've been there a doz times or so.

Herkdrvr

Great tip Shorty!!! I would imagine most folks are at the park during the day, so that might be a tough situation. Do you have children with you when you go to Ft Wilderness? I have a 4 yo and a 3 yo. I am guessing Disney caters to all ages.

Shorty

They do cater to all...even the old kids
We used to take the boats to the other hotels and used their pools and waiters...let the kids use the water slides, then move onto another resort the next day. They frown on that now.
Been taking the kids since they were small, now 12 & 15
honestly, we have more fun and much less congestion at Wild Adventures in Valdosta GA. Great place, real friendly and MUCH cheaper that Florida amusement parks.
Wild Adventures had rides for mine when they were 3-4 and still now.

Herkdrvr

I have been to the Wild Adventures. Terrific park!!! I think I will check the Disney box once and press on to much less expensive theme parks. I can't wait until they are old enough for Yosemite, Yellowstone, and Mt Rushmore. :laugh:

Shorty

It is nice now that they're older, but as they get older, they seem to be busier with sports which make it tougher to get away. We were in Disney right before Christmas and saw many children younger than yours, I asked the kids if they remember going to certain areas (character breakfast etc...)we took them when they were that age, they didn't remember any of it, even when we showed them the pictures. Told my bride that I think we took them when they were real young 'cause it was what we were 'supposed' to do. But, that was OK, I had fun anyway :laugh:

Have fun at Disney and wave as you go through Ocala

H2H1

HEY Shorty we stayed in a camp ground just off 75 in Ocala last year on our back from West Pl am Beach. real nice town and the manager of the CG was nice since she was closing as we pulled in, but she stay and ck. us in for the night.

DARLING

There is a campground right next door to Ft Wilderness called Theme World. Same Exit. Same Directions. Just 400 feet further down the road. We stayed there Labor Day week & park was on 1/3 full.
We are Passport America members and they are a participating park.
Worth checking out.
Darlin :cool:

Herkdrvr

Great tip Darling. Do you have any children? The website shows a few things for the kids to do. Is there a tram to the park? If not, how much was parking at Disney World?