Disney Ft. Wilderness ?'s or Other Suggestions

DL Rupper

Re: Disney Ft. Wilderness ?'s or Other Suggestions

Hey Herkdrvr, it took me awhile to go through this thread again and see your question, sorry. My HitchHiker weighs about 12 K lbs fully loaded. That weight is about maximum for my "03" Dodge Cummins. Just seems by looking at the Everest (big) that it would weigh about 4 K more than mine and would be too much for a 3/4 ton Ford PS. I've seen lots of big 5er's (36/37/38 + ft) on the road being pulled by 3/4 ton trucks, but it just isn't too safe IF they are exceeding their towing capacity. Remember you have to stop once you get rolling. Also, it is hard on your drive train. The fully loaded weight of your 3/4 ton (passengers, fuel, accessories) needs to be considered in the Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR).

elkhartjim

There you go again DL, trying to convert another to Dodge...you own stock? Don't tell anybody, I promised Hollis not to tell that he owns a FORD. UGH!!

DL Rupper

Hey Jim, actually my Dodge wouldn't do a good job on a 37 foot 5er. I think 3/4 ton diesels are too small to pull the BIG 5er's. I think the 1 ton or bigger is a better fit. Doesn't matter which brand. BUT the Dodge Cummins smoke sure do smell better. :approve: :bleh: :eek: Hollis just doesn't know better so he's forgiven. :evil: :laugh:

DARLING

Kids all grown. Just Honey & me. We went to Seaworld. So I don't know if there is tram to Disney. But there is a nice Chineese place with sno crab legs for dinner called Aces. Not too expensive, considering where you are. It is about $7 for lunch & $10-11 for supper.
It just off US 27 on 192(orlo bronson hwy west) in the old Howard Johnson rest next to the hotel. They have a beer & wine lic so no liquor. Just about like 6-7 miles fron cg. Straight down 27.
Darlin :cool:

Herkdrvr

Darling,
Thanks a million for the food recommendation. The "Vibe" Braders love sea food!!! :laugh:

DL,
My Everest is labeled 330B. I meassured it hitch pin to bumper at 36 ft. I loaded it to the gills for a month long trip to CO. It weighed in at 12K with 10 gal. fresh water and minimal liquids in the holding tanks. I have run the numbers over and over. My F250 has a solid capacity. I have towed it now and have no issues with breaking or controlling the rig. Thanks for the heads up though. I tend to agree with you. F350 or larger, but cost is an object at this point. :(

DARLING

If you want to go all out for seafood, there ia place called Angel's Lobster, Also on 192 but west of 4 .
All you can eat lobster, mussles, sno crablegs, shrimp and all the regular stuff.
Early bird is about $25 till 6pm & $30-35 after 6pm till closiing about11pm. Sometimes they have a coupon in the free tourist coupon books. I am getting hungry talking all bout this food.
Darlin :cool:

DL Rupper

Herkdrvr, 12 K should be no problem for your Ford. Sorry your diesel smoke won't smell as good.

I've been pulling 12 k lbs with 2 different Dodge Cummins Ram 2500's for 13 years. My old "95" would pull it up any hill at 30 mph. Much better with the "03" (70 mph).

I have 2 hang ups. Laundromats and small pickups towing BIG rigs. I get carried away with the weight issue every so often. Glad to hear you are checking the numbers. Cost is always object with me.

Enjoy your trip to Disney World. We were just there last month with our son, his wife and girls. Great fun. He got his discount tickets at the Shades of Green Military Hotel right on the Disney World property. Parking was $11/day. Wish I could have got them all Disney Tickets at the Florida resident rate, but didn't take a chance as they check the tickets and ID's closely and make you stick your finger on a electronic finger printer as you go in. They check bags and backpacks closely too. You can take food and water in with you. Cost of food/drinks inside is totally out of sight. :(

Herkdrvr

I figured it would eventually break the bank. I have a terrific back pack with a hide away camelback. I am hoping I can smuggle in some water or Jack & Cokes :laugh: I am sure Walt Disney himself would love a good drink right now. Thanks a ton for the info on the tow numbers. I just purchased a pair of Super Springs for my truck. WOW...what a difference. :)