Do I have enough truck?

sgilly8

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the RV world and have a few questions.

We are looking at buying a 2007 Skyline Nomad 291 Ltd. The dry weight tag says 6050 lbs.
I will be pulling it with a 1999 GMC Sierra Extended Cab 1/2 ton 4x4 with 5.3 litre vortec. The manual says it will pull 7500 lbs ( 3.73 gear) or 8000 lbs ( 4.10 gear ). I am not sure which gear ratio I have, how do you tell?

Is this too much trailer for my truck? The dealer as usual says no problem. I have a topper on the truck as well but would be willing to remove it to save weight. Does adding extra leaf springs make any difference?

I am from Southwestern Ontario so most trips will be within 1-2 hours from home on relatively flat roads with possibly one trip a year going up north which will be a greater distance and steeper grades.

Thanks for your time,

Scott Gilchrist

sgilly8

RE: Do I have enough truck?

I can't seem to figure out how to edit my post above but I do not mean to say that all dealers are bad. How ever it does seem as though some will tell me what ever it takes to get the sale.

Scott

TexasClodhopper

Re: Do I have enough truck?

Scott, you can only edit your post within the first 30 minutes after posting. There will be an "Edit" button in the upper right near the "Quote" button.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Scott,
You are in the limits of your truck with either gear ratio. The easiest way to find out which you have is to give a GM dealer your VIN number and they can tell you everything about your truck. Most people will not put over 500lb. in their trailer even though some will argue that.

A load leveling hitch should take care of you instead of an extra spring, although that would not hurt either. Just remember, you truck will ride stiffer after you do that.

hertig

Dry weight does not include water, or food, or clothing, or the things you need to hook up, or toothbrushes or... So the weight WILL be much more than 6050 pounds. I'd say assume 7000 pounds for safety (unless you really load things up or travel real light :) ).

And the 7500 pounds it is claimed you can tow is with a completely empty truck - no accessories, no cargo, no passangers, just a 150 pound driver and a bit of fuel. And it is also for a flat bed trailer with 'no' wind resistance.

So for a travel trailer, you probably want to shoot for a 'loaded weight' of not much over 5000 pounds.

Plus, I have the 2001 GMC 6.0 liter gas engine, and although it was fine on the flats, it had trouble getting 6500 pounds up hills (with 4:10 gears)...

Archh

Had the same truck. Pulled a Komfort 27' trailer with it. NO it is NOT enough truck.

Added air bags to the rear, Flowmaster Exhaust and K&N air filter. No it is NOT enough truck.

Bought a 2003 GMC 2500HD with the 8.1 gas and Allison transmission. That's ENOUGH truck.