Does anyone tow a 5vr with a short pin

orbital

I have a shortbed crew and just bought an Aljo 5vr with a short pin. Will i be constantly using my slide with this? I would prefer the long pin and rarely use the slide, Any experiences ?

Deric

I have a question: What do you mean short pin? Are there differences in pins? Not trying to be funny, just wondering. My 27.5 Wilderness fits in the back of my 1999 dodge quad cab 4x4 with the long bed. I can even leave the tailgate down and it doesn't hit the trailer even with sharp turns. Maybe someone out there could explain the differences between long verses short pin, and what differences there are pulling with a short bed verses long bed. Thanks :cool:

hertig

If the pivot point is under the trailer, then it is a 'short pin' or 'standard pin'. If the pivot point is out in front of the trailer (mounted on a steel box extending from the trailer), then it is an 'extended pin'.

This makes the trailer/truck combination longer, and requires additional bracing due to the large amount of torque applied to the trailer. So why bother? Well, putting the pin out in front of the trailer gives you more room between the truck and the trailer in tight turns. This may allow you to have a hitch mounted storage box, less trouble towing with the tailgate down, and less chance of 'kissing' the cab towing with a short bed pickup.

In the latter case, most 5ers are 8' or greater wide. If there is less than 4' between the hitch and the cab (ie a short bed), then simple geometry will show you that as you approach a 90 degree turn, the trailer and the truck cab will attempt to occupy the same space. This is generally considered a bad situation :)

Also, short bed, standard cab pickups (those with short wheelbases), are alleged to be less stable towing long trailers than trucks with longer wheelbases (long bed and/or extended cabs).

Deric

Thanks hertig
Now I get it, the pin is short, meaning that it comes right out of the bottom on the fifth wheel frame. and long when it has the extension. So it sounds like the extended version on a truck with the long wheel base (long bed) is the best combination. Thanks for clearing that one up for me. Isn't technology great :cool:

Deric

hertig

Deric. Maybe not. I actually have the extended pin and the long bed truck, and the pin box can run into the side of the bed way before any other part of the trailer gets anywhere near any part of the truck...

If you have the short bed, the extended pin is advisable. If you have the long bed truck, you can usually use an extended pin, but the standard pin might be better in some cases.

orbital

Well I brought it home. Plenty of clearance, I actually tried to see what I could get away with in a turn. Nothing to worry about, my only problem is that when I hook up with the slide in the tow position I need someone to man the tailgate. There isn't enough clearance to hook up with the tailgate down. So long story short, I guess I will have to slide the hitch back if I plan to hook up by myself.