Do'es size matter

JA-UK

I have been looking on this site and others at used 5th wheelers and tow trucks. It seems there is no shortage but being from the UK it's hard to get my head around the size of the USA. Anyhow I think I want something between 30 / 34ft . We will be staying for 4 months can anyone advise if there is an ideal size ie: do all RV Parks / campgrounds accept all sizes, are there any pitfalls to using larger or smaller units? Also what size / make of truck?

hertig

Re: Do'es size matter

I and my significant other and 7 cats spent a month in a 24.5 foot fifth wheel without any problems. Of course, we also spent 6 weeks in a 40 foot coach, and it was much better :)

Although the trailer was shorter than the coach, when you add the truck in, they were about the same. The coach was easier to back up, but harder to turn sharply. I didn't find any commercial park which would not take either, but I hear that state and federal camps are a bit tighter.

One thing which is a disadvantage on the larger coaches and trailers, is that they have 50 amp electrical rather than 30 amp. Not all spaces have 50 amp, and those that do often charge more. You can run a 50 amp RV on a 30 amp outlet, but it requires you to make sure you don't turn on more than 30 amps worth of stuff. That means only 1 A/C unit can be going at a time, but the RV is designed to use 2 (or 3) to keep it cool.

Kirk

Nearly all commercial RV parks in the US now have space for any RV up to about 40' in length. State and federal park campgrounds are somewhat more restrictive on length, but as long as the RV is under about 35' in length you won't have enough difficulty to make it an issue. I would not worry about the issue of 30A, versus 50A power as we have had an RV with 50A service that we live in for the past seven years and it just isn't an issue. It will work just fine on 30A when 50A isn't available.

As to the size of the USA, it is roughly the same size as Europe. It is about 5000 kilometers east to west and 2500 kilometers north to south.

hertig

How is it not an issue? 50 amp service is actually 100 usable amps and 30 amps is 30 amps. Now 30 amps WILL run the critical stuff, 1 AC, battery charger, Refridgerator and TV, and maybe even the microwave, so it can usually be done with a bit of care. But if you are in really hot weather, 1 AC might not be enough. And running 2 AC (and nothing else) on 30 amps is questionable.

JA-UK

Thanks guys seems like every answer raises another question. talking of another question, do'es anyone know if it's possible to hire a5th wheel and truck?

hertig

It is probably possible, but it probably won't be easy. Most places that rent RVs rent motorhomes. You would probably have to find a place to lease the truck, and then another place to rent a travel trailer (unlikely the rental truck would have a fifth wheel hitch). For trailer rental, check the 'independant' used RV dealers. Some might rent out part of their stock.