DRIVIN A TT WITH AN EXPEDITION ACROSS AMERICA

RonaldMartel

I have rented 21 foot trailers before and have had great success towing with my 99 Expedition, 4WD, 3.73 axle, 5.4 Liter with factory tow package. Cindy and I went out to look at buying a RV TT. The more we looked the bigger they got. We purchased the 2703 Layton, about 5100 dry and 6100 GVW. I have towed it locally a couple of times. I am interested in any one having experience: Expected gas mileage? Upgrading the springs or shocks? and what to expect when I cross the Continental Divide. I am acitive duty Navy be transferred from Wash. state to VA. We have 30 days of camping reserved to do this trip in July. Everyones input would be aprreciated.
Ron

C Nash

Hi Ron,
I don't think you should have any problems with towing if you have the trailering package and 16" rims. Proper hitch with sway controls are very important. If the trailer does not set the rear down on the Expedition, I would not worry about springs. When hooked up, I like for the total unit to be level. With the equalizer hitch you should be able to do this. Gas milage depends a lot on your driving habits. Stay under 55 and don't start racing that chevy or dodge to see who can get to the top of the hill first and you should get around 9-10 mpg. Sounds like you have plenty of time so enjoy the trip. BE SURE the Expedition has a TRANSMISSION COOLER installed.

Be careful on loading the TT and I would advise having it weighed with full load before leaving. Hope you are not carring all your belongings. Very easy to overload. Carry just enough water in the fresh water tank for emergency and dump all tanks when leaving camp.

Chelse L. Nash
fulltimer03@yahoo.com

Edited by - C Nash on Jun 30 2002 11:12:13 AM

RonaldMartel

Chelse,
Thanks for such a quick response. I do have the 17" wheels on the expedition. Is this better or worse than 16" wheels. I recognize one turn on the 17" wheel will travel a greater distance than the 16" wheel, but also requires more torque to turn the same load. Is the 17" wheel a big, medium, or little problem?

RonaldMartel

Chelse,
Thanks for such a quick response. I do have the 17" wheels on the expedition. Is this better or worse than 16" wheels. I recognize one turn on the 17" wheel will travel a greater distance than the 16" wheel, but also requires more torque to turn the same load. Is the 17" wheel a big, medium, or little problem?

C Nash

Ron,
I reread your post and I see you do have the factory tow package. What the 17" tires does is raise your axle ratio. I don't know how much this lowers the tow capacity but, I would guess around 1000 lb so you should still be in the 6800 to 7000 lb total tow. Remember this is just a guess. I would check in the owners manual. They should give all the gvw on the expedition. You have to add the weight you will be carring in the tow vehicle to the gcvw. Just remember the problems Lucy and ricky had after Lucy loaded their TT with rocks, can goods and such. Don't remember the name of the movie but, it's typical of the way most of us campers try to carry everything along with us. They are not designed to be a moving van. Watch your loading, distribute evenly and enjoy the trip to Va.

Chelse L. Nash
fulltimer03@yahoo.com