Driving and parking

Capt Ron

Any tips, tricks or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm new witha trailer behind me, so I need to learn soon.

C Nash

Re: Driving and parking

Hi Capt,
Go to a vacant parking lot and pratice. You will get the hang in no time. Some cones would be helpful to get you use to tight places. Learn to back using your rearview mirrors. Great to have someone watching and using walkie talk or cell phone to commucate with you. Always get out and ck where you are backing in before you start. Look for branches that might hit the top.

On the road be sure you have the proper tow vehicle, hitch, brakes and sway controls. Tow at a safe speed. I think 55 is a good safe speed. Also helps gas MPG. Always be aware of your surounding traffic. Keep tabs of what is passing you. Adding a little throttle as semis pass helps. Do not tailgate. If you happen to run off the road shoulder try to gradually come back on. Avoid swerving. Just a few things that come to mind

TexasClodhopper

Don't be like the two RVs we saw at a cosino recently. One was in a MH and was trying to back into a parking space 'near the door' where we had trouble parking our PU truck. We noticed him because he was exchanging info with the driver of the van that got a vertical crease from the MHs passenger side rear corner!

The other one was a TT that was sticking out into the driving lane in the parking lot after the owner 'pulled through' in two parking spaces. I wanted to stick around and see how long he had to wait until he could get that thing out when all the surrounding spaces were filled!

Common sense should tell you that an RV should not park where smaller vehicles park. Park out in the back forty where you can get in and out and you won't get a crumpled fender.

Capt Ron

Thanks guys. I'm hoping to catch some tips such as putting your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel makes the trailer go whichever way your hand goes. I remember in drivers training there were certain rules of thumb about parallel parking like waiting until your back tire gets to the end of the car before cutting into the spot,. Bus drivers know which window they must clear on a corner before they begin a turn. Any tips such as those? I figure parking is a geometrical problem in it's own, ya know? For example, I figure there is a certain point, probably the tires of the trailer, where you can begin the turn when backing a trailer into a spot.

Outta curiousity, what percentage of parks do youfind have angled spots?