dry weight

brodavid

I have just one question about RVs. Why don't the manufactors or the dealers in the proms give the dry weight of the unit?

Thanks, bro david, the boss and the asst boss

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: dry weight

They do. Each and every RV, wether it be a Motorhome, Fifth Wheel or Travel Trailer is supposed to have a weight label in it. It contains the GVWR which is the maximum weight the axles and tires are capable of carrying. On that label you will find UVW it is Unit Vehicle Weight. That is the weight of the unit as it left the factory usually within 5%. The UVW does not include water, LP, food, clothes or anything else you put in the unit.

We post the UVW on all trailers and we have been thanked many times by customers for it.

brodavid

Thanks for the answer, that settled one answer and brought up another, sorry, All the brochures that the manufactors send out with the spec sheets do not always say the dry weight. now why is that.
I think I need to deal with Grandview this time instead of the ones I am trying to. Can not get any answers from their sales.

thanks again,
bro david
back on the road as soon as the doctors okay it

hertig

Yes, Grandview is the dealer to deal with.

Be aware that 'dry weight' is not really a useful measure. It is not reliable, except on units which just arrived from the factory (does not take into any changes made by the dealer or previous owners). And an 'empty' RV is hardly worth towing (except possibly home from the dealer). GVWR is a more reliable measurement, because it is absolute, and because it is the maximum the RV can weigh. The primary usefulness of dry weight is figuring out the CCC (Cargo Carring Capacity) of the unit

carlitguy

RE: dry weight

This is perhaps one of the most misunderstood things about RVing. And, misunderstanding it can cause problems of safety, mechanical problems, ruined vacations.
First, the basic formula is dry weight plus carrying capacity equals gross vehicle weight rating.
Dry weight: This can be obtained from a brochure but the problem here is it does not allow for any options. For example, if an air conditioner is optional it will not be in the dry weight. If it is, it is in the dry weight. If an optional air conditioner is added it will be about 100 pounds for example.
Carrying capacity: this is the weight that the springs, tires, shocks, frame, etc will carry. Technically, while it is a combination of all these it is generally the lightest component that will determine this rating.
Gross vehicle weight rating: GVWR - This is the rating of the dry weight and carrying capacity added together.
Often the trailer will have a paper sticker in a cupboard or on a door and it will generally give two of the three.
If it gives the carrying capacity and the dry weight, the total will be GVWR.
If it gives the GVWR and dry weight the difference is the carrying capacity. If it gives the GVWR and the carrying capacity the difference is the dry weight.
Now, the problem is this. If for example you had a dry weight of 5000 pounds and a GVWR of say 8000 pounds. This will result in a carrying capacity of 3000 pounds. This is becoming quite common now with better brakes, axles, etc. The real weight of this unit loaded with propane, food, water, clothes, etc will likely be around 6000 to 6500 pounds tops. People are passing on units their truck can tow by only looking at the GVWR. They are penalizing the manufacturer for building a better unit. People generally have about a 1000 pounds in their unit.
Can you trust dry weights? Not always,. The Recreation Vehicle Dealers Association sets guidelines for it's members to adhere to. Manufacturers such as Arctic Fox do not belong to it nor have the required sticker. This is why an Arctic Fox weighs a lot more than it's disclosed weight. If you don't believe me weigh one. They use the weight before the slide is added!
I hope this helps you in your purchases!
carlitguy

brodavid

It does, when we got our Provan Tiger, I asked what the dry weight was and the salesman look at the chart of the actual weight from the scales that they had done after it was finished with, so I had a good idea what it could hold. We are thinking of moving up a little, our daughter is not a toddler anymore, and every salesman around here looks at me like I am some freak when I ask about a certain equipped unit. I do a lot of shopping by internet and phone right now. Hopefully after tomorrow will be able to do more.
Thanks again for answers and still thinking Grandview.

brodavid

brodavid

Thank you sir, are you still smelling that good dodge diesel smoke? I called my son and he is in Norfolk, Va now and said he would slide by to see what Grandview has and get back with me. They can not miss him, as ugly as his dad.
If I can get him to stop using my Laptop and get his own, everytime I try to get on line to read my email. he is all ready on.
Thank you all for the good info and told him to see Kennth.

ONCE A MARINE ALWAYS A MARINE

brodavid

DL Rupper

We are in Virginia this week so we stopped by Grandview Trailer Sales (GTS) today and met Kenneth. He has a great RV dealership. It was great talking to him in person and he took us on a tour of the local area. Anybody looking for a good deal should get in soon as he is trying to reduce inventory for the winter.

ARCHER

yes, I agree, He is great. LInda is pretty good also (she keeps him hopping...... ;)

DL Rupper

I'm a typical male. Pardon my stupidity. My wife and I met Linda too and she is great. She kept the place going while we talked RVs with Kenneth and went on a tour. :clown:

Grandview Trailer Sa

Brodavid,
Come on by! We will do our best.

To answer the question about printed brochure weights, you have been told correctly. The weights that are printed are dry weights before options. That fact is in small print at the bottom of the page. That is why we post the actual UVW in the windows of our trailers.

If Gulf Stream has a run of the same floor plan, one in ten goes to the scales. They, for one, really try to be accurate.

Archer, the one that really keeps me going is my Grand Daughter! DL and his wife saw her today and probably know what I am talking about.

DL Rupper

She is something. Really a cute little sweetie. She had Kenneth's attention from the moment he drove up and saw she was waiting for him.