Ducted furnaces in cold weather and battery drain

Darrell

I ORIGIONALLY POSTED THIS IN TALKBACK THEN NOTICED THAT THIS FORUM HAS MORE TRAFFIC.
Sorry to those who read this twice.

I am looking for an RV to use for both summer and winter use. I am looking at older units, 78-88ish. A or C isn't an issue.
My question is, since I will be gone from the MH for a whole day leaving in the morning and comming back in the evening 12 hours later.
With a ducted furnaces fan using battery power how long will a battery typically last? Temps can be as low as single digit hi's so even just trying to keep the coach at a minimum temp will require the furnace to run a lot. I plan on insulating ceiling vents, outer walls under cabinets and some sort of window coverings to minimize heat loss to help out.
How long would a battery last if it was a typical 750 Ah deep cycle?
Will I have to fully charge the battery every morning and night or will it last 2 or 3 days?
Will the furnace work if battery power drops very low, ie almost dead? A non ducted furnace seems the simplest but they are only in pretty small Rv's and I would like something in the 22-27' range.Will a ducted furnace work for me at all or should I lok for non ducted units only?
Thanks
Darrell

RobRV

I would suggest that you will not be too happy with an older unit with a ducted furnace. The problem will be that the Furnace Fan will draw too much power from your battery, not to mention how much propane it will consume! quote:Originally posted by Darrell

I ORIGIONALLY POSTED THIS IN TALKBACK THEN NOTICED THAT THIS FORUM HAS MORE TRAFFIC.
Sorry to those who read this twice.

I am looking for an RV to use for both summer and winter use. I am looking at older units, 78-88ish. A or C isn't an issue.
My question is, since I will be gone from the MH for a whole day leaving in the morning and comming back in the evening 12 hours later.
With a ducted furnaces fan using battery power how long will a battery typically last? Temps can be as low as single digit hi's so even just trying to keep the coach at a minimum temp will require the furnace to run a lot. I plan on insulating ceiling vents, outer walls under cabinets and some sort of window coverings to minimize heat loss to help out.
How long would a battery last if it was a typical 750 Ah deep cycle?
Will I have to fully charge the battery every morning and night or will it last 2 or 3 days?
Will the furnace work if battery power drops very low, ie almost dead? A non ducted furnace seems the simplest but they are only in pretty small Rv's and I would like something in the 22-27' range.Will a ducted furnace work for me at all or should I lok for non ducted units only?
Thanks
Darrell

janicenlarry

That sucker will drain your batteries in no time. Unless you install an Extend-a-stay, you will also be moving the unit too many times for LP refills. Suggest either an electic heater (oil filled are larger but really give a nice heat) or an LP Catalytic heater. Better yet, move to a warmer climate. :cool:

Ed H.

I have to say that I have never understood the thinking in making self-contained RVs that can only function without hookups for a few hours. A gravity furnace, standing pilot refrigerator, and otheer appliances that can run without draining the battery should be standard equipment. Either that or install a solar battery charger and battery pack that can provide enough electricity for at least a 3-day stay ( you would probably need to get water and dumpo the holding tanks by then anyway.)