Dumb thing to do

G

Well i got back from MB today and after a little nap i decided it was time to clean out the rv ,, well anyway it's been about 98 degrees here and i thought i would plug in the rv (not in the garage i have for it) but i decided to run a heavy cord from my other garage and plug her in and turn on just one ac ,, well it worked for awhile ,, but then i heard the ac cutting on and off ,, and everytime the compressor would kick on it would pull down the fan on the unit anway ,, to make long short...
I kinda fried my 15amp to 30 adapter and not to mention the plug on the exstension also...
I'm glad that was all that got fried ,, i fired up generator and tried ac's again and both work without a prob,,,
I guess it was just a low voltage thingy when the copress kicked in....
believe me i will not do that again :disapprove:

rjf7g

Re: Dumb thing to do

Did you use a 30 A extension cord? Did you have the plugs tight? I fried the female end of a 30 A extension cord and the male end of my RV electric cord by not plugging the two ends together tight (actually, my mother "helped me" by plugging the cord in). I threw the extension cord away and bought a replacement male plug at Wal-Mart. I will pay more attention the next time Mom helps with the rv! Everything works fine now!

G

I did have a 10 gauge wired extension cord ,, but it was only a 15 amp cord and plugged into my garage outside outlet,,, i usauly plug into my 30 amp service in the rv garage ,, but like i said it was in the driveway at the time,, i have used the 15 amp cord before and ran the ac but it's been really hot here and i guess the compressor overlaoded the wiring,,,, but oh well live and learn,, went and bought a 50ft 30 amp extension cord for the rv today and i also bought abother 15 amp adapt.. just incase....
My rv is wired for 50 amp (did it myself to run both ac's, i did this for the camp shore line)
But when i store it in it's garage i only use the 30 amp since all that's running is the batt. charger and ocasionally the ac and some lights but that's about it...
Let me tell u i learned from this ,,, couldda been worse though :approve: ;) :eek: ;)

C Nash

730, sure have to be careful with those extension cords and addapters. Glad you only fried the addapter. Have to watch the length also that you are using. Low voltage and poor connections really can damage electrical appliances. Know what you are saying about the heat. Been over 100 here for several days and no relief or rain in sight. We are around 20+ inches short on rainfall in this area for the year and last year was not much better.

G

I know what u'r saying about the heat,,, i cut my hay the other day (which should be on the 4th cutting,, but only on 2nd) but anyway i only got 11 bails on this cut the first cut was 41 (that was on 10 acres)
as far as my rv yes u'r right u gotta watch out for the exten. cords
I cked all my major appliaces and they all work ok and ac's work ok ,,, WHEN PLUGGED 30 AMP PLUG :blackeye:
well anyway saty cool C and happy traveling :cool:

s.harrington

The big problem here is the distance. You are not supposed to run the a/c on more than a 25 foot 8 gage extension cord.