DURAMAX DIESEL

WHISKY6

Hi, this is whisky6, this post is to let people know about a problem that my son had with his 2006 chevy with a duramax diesel with the allison transmission,he plugged the block heater in when it got down to about 20 degrees here in wa. state over several days,got a check engine light came on,then it started to shift really bad,took into the dealer they checked it out and out that the sensors on the and transmission were not the temature,so computor told the transmission not to shift because it was cold,the engine told copmputor that it was warm,so they were a little confused which caused the funky shifting,was told not to plug in block heater above 0 degrees,they are working on a program at GMC to to let let people use the block heater at higher temps,the dealer cleared the check engine light truck shifts alright now,thank,s whisky6

DL Rupper

Re: DURAMAX DIESEL

Hey Grandview, I don't want to point fingers, but this looks sinister for the Duramax. What say you? Oh, oh, I've been watching O'reilly on Fox News too much. What do you think of this problem? Have you had any trouble with your Duramax's? :bleh: :laugh:

Grandview Trailer Sa

It was actually 21 degrees this morning and both of my 2006 trucks started and ran just fine, without being plugged in. The last truck I plugged in was one of those d*** Ford's I bought. Under 20, they would not hit a lick.

About this problem, I don't know anything about it, but will ask. Sounds like there is a sensor problem. I wonder if they all have it or just some of them.

TexasClodhopper

Someone needs to tell those "Global Warming" folks to spout their message in THE SUMMER! It's kind of hard to swallow right now!

We're all TRYING to get some global warming into our RVs right now ...

Grandview Trailer Sa

Yea, I need to go to Elkhart IN. to get a toy hauler for a customer. Their high today was about 4. I DON'T need to go that bad. Maybe first of next week. It is supposed to be about 30 then.... :cool:

Grandview Trailer Sa

Hopefully we just went through the coldest night we will have. When I got up the thermostat said 9. By the time I went out to start the truck it said 12. The trucks gauge said 13, but it started just fine.

DL Rupper

Hey GTS, it's good you didn't go to Elkhart today. Besides being only 10 degrees here in Dayton, OH it is snowing really hard. About 3 to 4 inches on the ground and more coming. Next week will be much better. Tues it is supposed to get all the way up to 35 degrees.

Grandview Trailer Sa

WOW, I am thinking about trying it Sunday. Maybe I will stop in Dayton and see you this time.

Talked to a girl at Gulf Stream today. Yesterday's high was 5 with a wind chill of -30. Today it got up to 7. Next week is supposed to be about 32.

We are on the verge of getting snow here tonight. As it got dark, snow had come over the mountains and headed my way. We are supposed to get 1-3" right where I live, but just West is up to 5" tonight.

Will let you know if I actually take off on Sunday. I don't mind getting caught, but I attempt to avoid bad weather if I can.

Grandview Trailer Sa

I have been bragging on how my trucks start in cold weather. I talked to the manager of the dealership where I bought them today, and I should not have anything to worry about.

He told me that Duramax is designed to start down to -20 degrees. He said GM (don't know when) took 30 trucks to Alaska and parked them in -30 degrees for a week. At the end of the week all but one started on their own.

I don't think I will ever have to worry about plugging them in.

DL Rupper

Hey GTS, we have another chance of snow Sunday night low 3 degrees Sunday morning with a high of 26 degrees. Monday will be snowy with a low in the morning of 19 degrees and a high of 29 degrees. Tue will be about 19/18. Then it drops off to the low teens during the day and about 0 to 5 dgrees at night. Haven't seen anything like it for a long time. Must be Global Warming. Can't think what else it could be. Let me know if you head this way, would like to meet you and your Duramax/Allison. :)

I haven't run my Dodge since 02-02-07. I had to crank the poor thing up in about 24 degree weather to move my 5'er. Seems like somebody was smashing through the doors of the RV's in my storage unit with a sledge hammer and taking TVs and stereos. They hit one side of the storage unit and missed my side. I took the hint and moved to another more secure location. I was worried not only for my door (which is not made anymore), but my TV is mostly covered by my slide. I could picture them tearing my slide apart to get at the TV. :angry:
Hope you have a good safe trip.

Grandview Trailer Sa

DL, sorry to hear about your security issues. Never can tell about people.

I am still trying to get out of here tomorrow about 11:00. I think I still have your phone numbers. Just in case, send me a private message and I can get it in the morning before I leave.

Seems like my problem will be getting home. We are supposed to get rain Monday night, and Tues. the temp. is supposed to drop and rain will change to sleet and freezing rain. My plan is to get home Monday, but sounds like I will drive through it getting here.