electric step

hobo

I have an electric step that at times stays in the out position with the door closed and the ignition switch on. Doesn't happen all the time.
Does anyone have an idea as to how to fix this problem?
Thank You

TexasClodhopper

Re: electric step

But otherwise, the little magnet switch on the door will retract the steps normally?

So, the only situation you are concerned with is when the ignition switch turns on? The steps should retract then. Hmmmm ...

G

what type of step is it ???
If it's the one i'm thinking of u could have 2 probs
(1) the door magnet switch is bad
(2) the contoller board is bad ... sorry got to add a third one
(3) u have a bad wire somewhere
But once u let us know the brand of step ,, and also if it is a 1 or 2 teir step we can go from there ;) :) :approve:

s.harrington

There could also be corrosion at the fuse especially if you have a fleetwood product with the electrical box in front under the hood.

hobo

RE: electric step

The step is a single Kwikee.
It's Monoco with door up front.
Where is the door magnet located.
Thanks again

G

look on the inside door frame ,, with the door open ,, u should see something that looks like a dime wrapped in plastic ,, if not u may have the type of switch that is built into the latch mechanism,,, have u ever had any other probs with the step ,, such as not coming out or ,, (if u have one ) the step light not being on ,, or has it ever gone in and out a bunch of times ?????
If so ,, u may have a control box problem ,, which i have found on most of these brand steps ,, that was the main prob ,, what year is u'r MH ,, i'll look into the Kwickee manuals i have and see where and what the prob might be ;) :)

C Nash

The fuse for my HR step is located in the left front bay storage behind a panel. Could have a loose conection there.

hobo

This is the only trouble I'v had with the step and it just started and you have no ideal when it will happen again,right now today it's working.When it dosen't work it always in the out.
The motor home is a 2002.

C Nash

Hobo, mine is also a 2002 and I'm sure yours has a fuse. Think it's a 5 amp. Mine was the automotive type glass fuse and the metal end was loose and it worked sometimes.

hobo

Thanks to everyone.I have checked and rechecked and it's working now.I think it's another one of the things that help drive me crazy.