Electrical

Deric

Hello all, it's been a while since I hae posted here, but I have an issue with a fifth wheel. First of all I haven't even seen the trailer yet, don't know the brand, it's a 36' with some sort of electrical problem. I am a Maintenance Mechanic and Electrician for the University of Washington, so I know what to look for, and also I own my own fifth wheel. Anyway this lady called me the other day and said she heard some "pop" sounds inside the wall. Also her cord got hot and started smoking, I think it's fried. The rv park manager hooked this trailer up for her, and now it sounds like "nobody know what happened, or was there" I'm going to take a look today around 12:00pm pacific time, but I was wondering if some trailers have in line fuses in the wall that would account for the popping sound she heard. I also wonder if the trailer is a 50 amp and was wired wrong, but now the park guy changed something and I will probably never know the truth, he is known to be a weasel. Any ideas? I know its not alot to go on, especially the model and make, but any help before I go there would be greatly appreciated.

Deric Kettel
Forks WA

Poppa

Electrical

No reputable manufacturer would put an inline fuse in a wall nor an ecectrical junction. sounds like ther was a short and the wire fused before the internal breaker

Deric

Electrical

Thanks Poppa for the response, I have learned that after talking to all the people involved, which includes the fire chief, and rv park manager, and the lady that own the trailer. What I have determined is that her big 4 prong 50 amp plug had been plugged into an adapter and then into a smaller cord. The fire chief said that they could not detect any heat with their heat detectors. When they got there at 3:00 am in the morning, they walked outside and picked up the cord on the ground, and sparks flew and flames shot, but when I got there this morning the small 110 v duplex receptacle had been replaced with a 50 amp 4 prong. I haven't plugged in the trailer, and I don't know if I really want to get involved in this, I think someone is trying to cover their backside, and the liability is not something I want to take on. Thanks again for the post.

Deric Kettel