electronically controlled heated holding tanks

1spatton

We purchased a new RV that has electronically controlled heated holding tanks. I can not find any information on how or when to use it. I am not sure if it is for the black, gray, or fresh water holding tanks – or all three. I am not sure what air temperature I should start using it. Can anyone give me info on this? Thanks for any and all help . :)

TexasClodhopper

Re: electronically controlled heated holding tanks

I don't mean to be a smart-aleck, but use it when it starts freezin' outside.

My RV's holding tanks that are exposed to the outside are the grey and black tanks. My fresh water tank is inside.

PS. Welcome to the forum!

DL Rupper

RE: electronically controlled heated holding tanks

Hey 1spatton, welcome to the forum. What brand of RV?. Most heated holding tanks are heated by air hoses/ducting connected to your gas furnace that are routed down into your enclosed holding tank area. Includes all holding tanks Black/grey/fresh. By electronically controlled I assume they mean by the electronic thermistat controlling the gas furnace.

You use them when it gets below freezing outside. Actually by default you use them every time you use your gas furnace. Make sure you leave your furnace on in very cold weather even when you are gone for the day. You don't want to come back to frozen and cracked holding tanks. :(

1spatton

Thank you for your help. Our camper is a Flagstaff and has the fresh water tank in the storage area under the front of the camper. I do have a switch that I can turn on inside the camper for the heated tanks. Since the frest water was under the front and the gray/black water is under the back I was not sure if both were heated or not. I also did not know if there was a benefit to using them when it was above freezing but when you would still need heat inside.

DL Rupper

Look underneaeth your RV to see if you can see any of your holding tanks. If all you can see is a sheet of material that insulates your underbelly from the road and the outside elements, your tanks are considered to be enclosed. As far as the switch that seems to turn on your heating, it sounds like 12V or 115V electric heating. If that is the case, I would be leery of leaving your RV in very cold weather without being hooked up to shore power. If it's 12V the batteries would discharge rapidly, and if it's 115V you wouldn't have any electric heat. You need to check with a Flagstaff dealer to find out exactly how your heat is supplied to your holding tanks.

Like I said in my original reply if your tanks are heated by the propane furnace they will have heat supplied to them even if its not freezing outside, but cold enough inside to need your furnace on. I personally use a small 1500 watt electric space heater to take the chill off when its not below freezing outside. They work fairly well. I use a Patton heater made by Holmes. I like it because if it gets knocked over or falls it will turn off. Wal-Mart carries them for around $20. The only negative I know of for using an electric heater is that some RV parks will charge you extra if they know you are using an additional electric heater in cold weather.

C Nash

Look and see if you have a small electric heater in the water supply hook up area. I would only use it when temps go into the mid twenties. You will need to be hooked to shore power or generator to use.