engine temp on steep grades

Pillaz

Re: engine temp on steep grades

I know that it left the factory with a 4 barrell carb. The previous owner put a 2 barrel on it. I am going to check out the fan clutch this weekend when I get a second and I will let you know about the carb and how I made out on monday. I don't believe they put two barrel carbs on a 454 since the 70's This engine was manufactured in 1990. Last year I thought about putting a 4 barrel back on it, of coarse this would mean a new intake manifold as well. I also thought about putting a stainless steal high flow exhaust with headers on it which would give it much better horse power and better fuel ecconomy. But it is hard to put a lot of $ into a MH I only paid $8k for.
Again guys, Thanks for all of the advise!

C Nash

Go with the aluminum intake and get the headers. I still like the 4 barrell Rodchester Q-jet carbs for all around performance and mpg. Holley for high performance. Nothing wrong with putting some $$ in when you only have that kind of money in a MH. Best way to go.

Pillaz

I am not having much luck. I have changed the fan clutch(sevier duty) and Thermostat with a cooler one. (it had a 195 and I put a 180 on it) I think the carb is running rich. Even though it presumably has smaller jets it also restricts air flow.) I am going to pull a couple of spark plugs today when I get home from work and check them out. If they are not fowled then its not the carb and I am at a complete loss. It would seem to me that if it were running that rich or lean for that matter that it would run rough or stall which it does not. It runs at normal temp around town. I think I have spent a ton of $ on gas running it back and forth to a hill on a highway. It seems that weight has no effect as my test runs have been done when the MH is largely empty.

G

can i ask this ,, does it still have the cat converter on it ??? if so it might be getting plugged ,, but the spark plugs will tell u that ,, if they are black,, it's over fueling ,, or can't breath ,, or should i say exhale ... ;) :) :)

Pillaz

Thanks to all for the advice. The plugs were not fowled at least not badly. I flushed the radiator with fresh water and then refilled with a 50/50 mix of coolant. Low and behold it seems to have made a difference. On hindsight it was probably the first thing I should have done.
I still think it needs a 4 barrel carb and headers on it. Which I will probably do when I get time for a big prodgect.
Oh and by the way Nash. The carb is electronically control and says PEI on it. I'm not sure what that means
Thanks especailly to C Nash and 730 for all of the input. If any of you guys make it up to central NY I will buy you a drink!