Etiquette for newbies

Mal

Howdy all, my husband and I just bought our first motorhome. Quite a fantastic and exciting venture for us since I had always thought I'd be retired by the time we'd own one, but decided now was the time while our child was under age one to continue all the sports and recreational activities we enjoyed before baby.

Anyway, I wanted to see what the general sense of etiquette is as a fellow motorist. I made faux pas before while bowling, snowboarding, etc, by pure naivity. Every sport or activity seems to have it's own unwritten rules. Unfortunately, from experience I've realized you only begin realizing these rules when you've inadvertently broken them.

So, please, if you all would share the "unwritten" rules of etiquette with us, and share pet peeves, and thumbs up actions, we would very much appreciate it.

C Nash

Etiquette for newbies

Mal,
The first thing you will need to do is install a banks system so you can get to your destination first and get the best spot!:) If someone else has got there first you will then have to add the power chip. Don,t forget we can also install a h/performance cam, got to have that lope at idle Drive at least 80mph so no semi will be passing you and causing sway If the semi is ahead and running 80 follow about 10 ft behind and save on gas. Hope all know I'am KIDDING Sorry I was no help Mal

Chelse L. Nash
fulltimer03@yahoo.com

Southstl

Etiquette for newbies

Chelse, that was good.

Mal, just be courtious. That is all I know. And even then, folks will get angry at you. There seems to be a few folks that do not like big things traveling down our highway's, when they wave and tell us we are number one, just makes us all fuzzie inside.

Anyway, we have meet some of the nicest people RVing. On and off the highways. And that is why we keep on RVing.

Steve

2001 f250 CC PSD
2002 Montana 5th Wheel
2 minature Dachshunds
http:// www.texasboomers.org

Larry

Etiquette for newbies

Mal,

The one gripe I hear repeatedly is that Motorhomes "get in the way". That is they travel slower than the other traffic and allow a line of cars to grow behind them.

I have driven VERY high performance cars all my life and like to drive fast. However, it is NOT SAFE to drive fast in my 32' motorhome or maybe it just won't go the speed limit. When in my motorhome I keep an eye on the mirror. If I am holding someone up by driving slower than they are, I find a place to get off the road so they can pass. Some RV'ers take the position that they paid for the road too and can therefore drive whatever speed they like. I propose that when you drive slower than others and get in their way that you are using more than your share of the road.

So on tip on etiquette is, DON'T USE MORE THAN YOUR SHARE OF THE ROAD!

Oh, and don't forget what Chelse said!

Larry

Butch

Etiquette for newbies

Geeez Chelse, You didn't even mention a blower......all in all Mal, just being kind and curtious to others seems to bring the same back to you 10 fold. Like boom boxes at 3AM just don't cut it. Idleing diesels (Or any loud vehicle) for extended periods just don't cut it. Doing Wheelies with the Harley with shorty pipes after a few beers and at midnight just don't cut it. Musical air horns playing "on the road again" at 5:30 A.M. just don't cut it. Your pit bull running loose & chewing up the neighbors minature hairless just don't cut it. Never let your pets run rampant and ALWAYS clean up after them. Never allow your children to run rampant thru other folks sites or throw mudballs at passing campers. If you inadvertantly dump your holding tanks in your unplumbed site, palease clean it up and hose it down, simply rapidly driving off hoping nobody noticed just don't cut it. These things happen and are not appreciated by everyone. Other than the obviously being nice mode, a smile and wave are very infectuous and always seems to bring about conversaton. I believe most of us have commited the average basket full of faux pas and have managed to live long enough to have learned from it. JM2CW - Happy Motoring Butch @ Nancy Lake, Alaska

Edited by - Butch on May 30 2002 3:35:19 PM

C Nash

Etiquette for newbies

Dog-gone Butch, thought sure Mal could get by without the blower!! Can't believe anyone would mind hearing ole George Jones at 3am and I still have to raise a window when I hear some loud pipes. Get goose bumps when that old Harley cranks, man what a sound. Musical horns playing Dixie or "War Eagle" surely is ok at anytime!! A dog down here with no hair has mange so we just think our pitbulls are putting them out of their misery! Only dog that should be tied or on leases are coon dogs. Just tell everyone those aint my kids!! Most all the ground around here needs fertilizer anyway so empty them tanks on the lawn. Darn, thought I was having fun Butch. Sorry all this retirement must be affecting my brain.:)

Mal just do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Camping people are the GREATEST

Chelse L. Nash
fulltimer03@yahoo.com

Larry

Etiquette for newbies

Mal,

Please don't let reprobates like Butch and Chelse influence your opinions. They have some good advice but OBVIOUSLY they also have WAY too much time on their hads. :)

Larry

thumbs

Etiquette for newbies

Larry

I was thinkin the same thingChelse needs to get a job. LOL ;-} Just kiddin Chelse. It must be great. Enjoy buddy.

Gary

Gary

Souderton, Pa