Extended Warranty Programs

onthecoach

Hello All,

I am hoping some of you can give me some advice as to which companies offer the best extended warranty programs. The one I have will expire in April 2010, and I think I better start shopping around.

If you cannot provide positive info, perhaps you can warn me of the ones to stay away from. Full-timing, we really can't be without this kind of coverage and I know it is expensive...esp as the coach gets older. As of April, it will be 5 years old -- can't believe that much time has passed already!!

Thanks for any info (positive OR negative) you can provide.

C Nash

Re: Extended Warranty Programs

Lynn as you probably know I am not a fan of extended warranties. Are nice to have when you brake down if it covers the problem. Put the money in the bank and more than likely you will come out ahead in the long run. I don't have a policy so cannot advise one over the other. Do a search on warranties and you should find loads of info. If I was purchasing one I would look into Good Sam.

onthecoach

Thanks, Chelse, for the input. I did have a Good Sam policy on my old coach....was not really very happy with their customer service. I know a new policy will be a couple of grand, at least, but the last time we had a problem the total cost was over $6K (an electical surge at the pole blew out the entire electrical system on the coach! :angry: ) Yes, I now have HD Surge Protectors!-- current policy covered about 90% of the costs...so that was worth the premium!

LEN

I think the biggest thing here is to know what you are buying, read and reread. Most people expect to be covered like a new car bumper to bumper and this just isn't going to happen within reasonable funds. Things that wear out are not covered, things that can rot are not covered, normal maintenance is not covered. If a person understand this then the warranties are what to get. For me with purchasing a new/used MH I got the Goodsam warranty and have just used it for the first time and they did exactly what the paper work said they would do. One thing Goodsam did that I thought I was stuck for is I had three problems and I thought three deductables but Goodsam grouped them for one deductable. This is like medical insurance, and it is insurance, I purchased the insurance with the hope I did not need it and I did. Normal maintenance I can afford but the big hit would suck big time so I purchase the insurance.

LEN

onthecoach

I agree completely with you, Len!!! It is the BIG Ticket Items that I want coverage for. the basics and maintaince one expects to pay out-of-pocket, just like a car. But, of course, in the motorhome...the big ticket items are REALLY BIG!! I will do my research....I was hoping some of the great RVers out there would be able to share their experiences, so I thank you for yours!!! :)

utmtman

Lynn, I have freedom care and I am very happy with them. I have only had one item ever turned down and that was a leaking seal around the slideout and they considered that as weather stripping. They have even paid for mobile service which I was told very few cover mobile. There number is 888-547-9807.
My contract is a 7 year 70,000 mile contract. I paid about 850 per year for it. And so far it has paid out that much and than some.

utmtman

Lynn, I have freedom care and I am very happy with them. I have only had one item ever turned down and that was a leaking seal around the slideout and they considered that as weather stripping. They have even paid for mobile service which I was told very few cover mobile. There number is 888-547-9807.
My contract is a 7 year 70,000 mile contract. I paid about 850 per year for it. And so far it has paid out that much and than some.

vanole

onthecoach,

I have had both of my extended warrantes through Prizm and am very happy with them.

V/R
Jeff

Kirk

I don't find it on the internet just now, but there used to be a company called Warranty Direct, located in San Antonio, TX that has done some very questionable things. We purchased one from them which had been misrepresented. The selling agent indicated that if we made no claims in the term of the warranty, the company would refund the purchase price. That was not true and I discovered shortly after purchase it was not in the final contract. After contacting the company which underwrote the policy, we chose to stay with them and had very good service by the company. We also did make a couple of claims, which was what the company had advised us to do.

Warranty Direct of San Antonio was not a policy underwriter, but they are just a selling agent. Very often that is the case when you purchase one of these so while the company behind it may be a good one, many sales people have no problem with lying to the customers if they think that it will help to sell. In this case, the company that wrote my warranty did sever business ties with the people who sold it to us. Make sure that you do understand who will actually be the insurance company behind the contract.

G

I have delt with a few warranty program companies ,, on repairs for other's rv's ,, and all have been,, good ,, i will not name names ,, but like i said all good ,, they have paid me for the work , and the customer is happy ,, now warranty claims on new rv's is different ball game ,, they like to have the service provider sit around awhile and wonder if they are ever gonna get paid ,, but that is a very few ,, agian not naming names ,, but most are good about cutting a ck ,, as long as i go thru the right steps ,, before the repair is even thought of tackling ,, and i usally do that anyway ,, warranty or not ,, i want the customer to know what he is paying for ,, ahead of time ,, and i usally hold the parts ,, as a show and tell ,, that way they don't think i did something that didn't need to be done :approve: :approve: :approve: :cool: :cool:

The Englishman

RE: Extended Warranty Programs

Look you guys there are insurances and there are warranties
Whats the diference? Spelling thats all

Whats cheaper? Insurances thats what.

Warranties are another name for insurance but they are slapped at you daily and you pay the premium cos you dont understand the difference. Go to WalMart and see how many warranties you're offered.

Evaluate what is dear and near and get an insurer to cover it and much of which the warranty covers is already covered in your insurance anyway.

I NEVER have warranties from dealers cos I can buy them cheaper elsewhere but under the banner of insurance and the ball is in their courts cos if they screw up then they are liable. It aint rocket science here just shop around for someone who is willing to hedge your liability and I assure you there is squillions who will.

outdoors4ever

we just purchased a new Outback from Lakeshore Rv and also opted for the service contract. We have freinds who full time and highly recommended the coverage. The price of the contract is reasonable when you stop to consider the vast amount of items covered and the possibility of any of the failing after the warranty period. I believe you can buy a policy for pre owned as well, you might give them a call! 231 788 2040