Extended Warranty question

jet

Looking at Extended Warranty for a new Motorhome and currently looking at the DFS Advantage plan. Would appreciate any comments on this extended warranty or any others to consider.

rjgonfshin

I would wonder why you would concider any of them. They are all a rippoff. If you are an average person with average luck, you will be on the loosing end of every one of them. And they always thrive on not covering your piticular problem. They are known to have 95% clear profit rate. If you think you will get that 5%, buy one.

Cliff

I bought a 2 year extended warranty from Wynnes for my Jeep Grand Cherokee when I purchased it, only catch is the $100 deductable. Since the Jeep had close to 100,000 miles on it, seemed like a good idea. I paid $1200 for the 2 year deal, and made all that money back and then some the first time I used it, to have the transmission rebuilt. It came in handy again when the crank sensor failed, the replaced that, did a motor mount, and a shift assy update at the same time (all for a single $100 deductable).

I just called them the other day to have the A/C compressor replaced, it locked up and snapped the serpentine belt last week. I replaced the belt for $15, but the new compressor will cost $300 plus freon, plus labor. They said to pick out someone to do the work and they'll take care of all but $100 of the bill!

They have done nothing short of a great job for me, never questioned or denied any claim, I can't say a bad thing about them!!!

*C*

Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

www.gonecamping.net

C Nash

If my budget could afford the possible repairs I would not purchase the warrenty. On a limited budget it's probably a pretty good investment. The companys could not stay in business if they were losing money so they are the ones that really profit but, peace of mind is worth something. Some don't even buy burial insurance and we know that's one we will use. Had one of them since 1947 and now they tell me that 250 dollar policy want bury me!!! Guess I'll just have to keep living. Can't afford to die and be buried.

Chelse L. Nash
fulltimer03@yahoo.com

Edited by - c nash on Feb 03 2002 2:35:57 PM

Cliff

For the aftermarket warranty company it's a crap shoot that works in their favor. For the most part, most of the units covered will never need much, or any warranty work. Offering extended warranty on a RV must be like gold, most RV's sit in the driveway most of the year, and will run out of time long before they have enough milage on them to ever start failing. The odd's are clearly in their favor...

*C*

Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

www.gonecamping.net

patnchris

I am currently trying to get DFS to cover an engine failure on my Motorhome. I purchased their extended warranty, at considerable cost, for the piece of mind, you speak of. Rest assured, there is no piece of mind. It has been two weeks since my unit was towed to the dealer, 200 miles from home. It was diagnosed and reported to DFS the same day. To date (14 days later) they have had the dealer jumping through hoops, and have tried every stalling tactic in the book. Even though the engine is a covered item, they are now waffling and stalling, hoping I will go away.Along with that, it appears that the $200 deductible is pure BS, as the dealer is saying that my portion of the repair will be in access of $1500, if they ever get around to authorizing the engine replacement...Pat

rlmurraysr59

Jet:

I own a '02 Southwind 37U Class A motorhome. I purchased an extended warranty from Performance through the dealer. The dealer turned out to be one that only sells rv's, doesn't service them. At least you can't get in touch with their service department.

I have had to use the extended warranty once. The front airconditioner quit working and it turned out to be a noise from the converter. Go figure. Seems Fleetwood likes to cut corners on quality and put in a control unit for the airconditioner that is affected by outside noise. It causes the compressor to not kick in. No compressor, no cold air.

But Performance didn't seem to give Allsport RV any trouble about covering the converter. I did have to pay the $100.00 deductible though.

I guess you are going to have to play it by ear. How handy are you? Most of the repairs to the motorhome I have had to do myself, from water leaks to the exhaust system falling off at the mufflers. And a major gasoline leak at the filler tubes from when the installer failed to put the clamp around the rubber hose. Then coated it with a nice thick coating of black tar undercoating. I had to fix this one on the road.

Fleetwood disavowed any responsiblity about the poor workmanship in the coach. Their favorite saying is, "We stand behind our products". Yea, right!

Good Luck

RonSr

'02 Southwind 37U/Workhorse Chassis
'01 GMC Sonoma w/Brake Buddy

Starship

Putting the money in the bank (a little each month instead of making payments to the insurance company)is a good idea (as a lot of folks will tell you to do) as long as nothing happens until you have enough cash in the bank to pay for it.....

Not buying it at all (as others will tell you) is a crap shoot with the odds actually in your favor......BUT there is the "What If?" factor.

Or like any other insurance, you buy the policy have some piece of mind, some coverage of major problems and both you and the insuracne company are happy when you don't have to use it.

You might also check into Warranty Experts, they have exclusionary policy (if its not mentioned then its covered instead of the usual if its not in the policy its not covered). They also will return your money if no claims are filed during the policy period.

Good Luck